Speaker advice - £4000-£9000

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ganesh, Feb 9, 2007.

1. ganesh

ianb

Based on what I've actually heard I'd be temped by the new Quad electrostatics (although some equalisation might be needed) and Audiopax speakers (don't know model designations). Based on reputation I'd be tempted by Linkwitz Orion and maybe even Harbeth M40.

ianb, Feb 10, 2007
  2. ganesh

ganesh

Tannoys are Monitor Golds in large corner York cabinets. They sound very good indeed especially for Jazz & acoustic music. They are a little soft for certain types of music (such as electronic & rock) and they lack a little dynamic range. I'm looking for a better all round performance - better definition in the bass (more punch) as well.

Ordaination still requires cash upfront :)

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  3. ganesh

ganesh

Just replied elsewhere - they are 1969 Montior Golds in large corner cabs. Obviously the Yorks were mono design which does mean that you have to sit in exactly the right place for optimal sound stage :)

The Tannoy's are a little too laid back sometimes and do lack the last word in detail. So - more detal & dynamics is what I am after,

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  4. ganesh

ganesh

Yes that would be logical - update the Tannoys. However I am a little worried that they would sound too similar. Does anyone know how much Tannoy models have progressed over the years? It would be a little depressing to spend a lot of money for almost the same sound :)

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  5. ganesh

Andy 831

Lol its a strange world Colin, I have just bought Big Tannoys (GRF Memory) for exactly the reasons you want to sell !!!!

Colin in answer to your last post where are you, if you can get to west yorks you can hear my Tannoys which date fronm about 1987

Andy 831, Feb 11, 2007
  6. ganesh

ganesh

Yes I've come across some second hand Amati Homage which I am interested in. Good reviews although a fairly old model. Anyone heard these?

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  7. ganesh

ganesh

Good question. I'm slightly impulsive so if I see a good bargain I sometimes do buy on spec. That said I've not yet regretted any decisions - I've owned Proacs and Zingalis amongst other speakers (in fact I'd buy new Zingalis like a shot excepting the home monitor range is so expensive).

That said it is very tricky to find a dealer with a range of equipment that would make listening meaningful. This time around I'll probably spend 2-4 weeks getting it right. I hope :)

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  8. ganesh

ganesh

Hi Andy!

Thanks for the offer however I'm in London most of the time. I bet they do sound good though - I believe the GRFs would have better bass extension and control than the Yorks due to their horn enclosures. In fact I considered getting some new reporduction cabionets built for my Monitor Golds a few years ago! Quite a trick design however :)

Out of interest what types of music do you consider the GRFs excel at?

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  9. ganesh

Neil

I think you should try Merlin VSMs - the design philosophy is very sound, the components first rate (Dynaudio Esotar D330/A. A 1" soft-dome tweeter, 6.5" custom Scan-Speak carbon fiber mid-woofer. Crossover at 2200 hertz with custom Hovland inductors & capacitors, Caddock resistors and Cardas cable). Detail and dynamics are their forte. Bass has more depth than you'd imagine but maybe not the "breathy"ness of the Tannoys - I'm no good at this reviewerspeak! Worth a listen anyway.

Neil, Feb 11, 2007
  10. ganesh

ganesh

My problem is I don't really like small speakers - too many design compromises. How can you get realistic bass from a single 6.5" woofer? I'm sceptical.

Large speakers may not have a high WAF but I have a forgiving wife :)

Colin.

ganesh, Feb 11, 2007
  11. ganesh

Dev Moderator

In that case I'd recommend listening to the Tannoy Canterbury and JBL K2.

Dev, Feb 11, 2007
  12. ganesh

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I recommend a listen to the Horning Agathon..
    And if you can find some, the Gershman Gap 828

leonard smalls, Feb 11, 2007
  13. ganesh

Andy 831

Colin

I drive the GRF Memory`s with a 2 watt Set amp so you can imagine with that amp, Bass is not very high on the agenda. Its there but its not thumping you in the chest.

The GRF`s have managed very well with just about everything I have thrown at them except Maybe track 2 of Jam and Spoons Tripomatic Fairytales. Which is a constant thud thud thud. I actually think it was the amp that did not like it rather than the speakers though.

Fire some Blue note Jazz or some acoustic folk and they are brilliant, Put some Bach into them and well...... FANTASTIC, they just come alive.

The wife loves them too they are big but not unsightly, nice peice of furniture too.... shame your so far away.

Andy

Andy 831, Feb 11, 2007
  14. ganesh

Neil

I still wouldn't discount the Merlins though - I was *very* sceptical of the bass quality. I ought not to have been. Take a look at their site for info, shame you're not closer or you could have a listen!

http://www.merlinmusic.com/

Neil, Feb 11, 2007
  15. ganesh

Tenson Moderator

Merlins never really impressed me I'm afraid. But I will say again, check out the ME-Geithain ME320K. 15" bass drivers, directive bass radiation to reduce room interaction, near-coaxial with a good off-axis response and three-way active.

[​IMG]

Tenson, Feb 11, 2007
  16. ganesh

Robbo

Luckily you're not the one that the advice is being give too!!!

Robbo, Feb 11, 2007
  17. ganesh

Tenson Moderator

I realise that ;) But I figure it’s worth saying, so it gives a more balanced view on the product. If no one says they were not very impressed by them, one could easily assume that no one has anything bad to say about them. Not to put Neil’s speakers down since I'm sure they are great for him and I think they do have their place, but I really don't see someone moving from big Tannoys and looking for more dynamics, going to a Merlin.

Tenson, Feb 11, 2007
  18. ganesh

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Colin - find some extremas - wont be disappointed, these are staying put!

larkrise, Feb 11, 2007
  19. ganesh

Dev Moderator

Sadly Tannoy no longer produce the GRFs :(.

Simon, those ME-Geithain ME320K are fugly so I bet they sound just great:D.

Dev, Feb 11, 2007
  20. ganesh

Robbo

But I would imagine you could get hold of some 15" monitor reds and plans from the internet, and a cabinet maker will build you some nice replicas!

Robbo, Feb 11, 2007
Ask a Question