Speaker Advice: Magnepan MMG

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Nepherim, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Nepherim

Nepherim Deep Purple Flactulence

My current setup is a Naim Nait 5, Meridian 506.16, and JM Reynaud Twin II. The Twin's are very good speakers at normal listening levels, but when pushed to what I'd consider moderately high volumes, the left channel starts to break up. The problem is particularly noticeable when watching movies, with explosions, or gun shots.

New Years eve really highlighted this, as we started to crank up the volume. Ever since hearing a pair of panel speakers a few years back, I've always had Magnepan at the back of my mind. In particular, the Magnepan MMG's are attractive now, because they are $550, they are returnable within 60 days, and I can upgrade within a year applying the price of the MMG's to a new pair. Plus they are flat :)

So, whilst I don't typically play at loud volumes, I'd like to be able to do so when I want to, and I'd like DVD's not to cause distortion.

So, a few questions:
    1. Will the Naim have the oomf required to power the MMGs?
    2. Am I going to have the same 'distortion' issues with the MMGs -- am I actually solving the problem?
    3. I don't need a lot of bass, but am I going to have to invest in a sub-woofer to accommodate the MMG range? In which case is something at the low end of the price range like the Rel T1 going to help?
    4. If I do need to invest in a sub, then total is beyond the $1000 mark; am I better off looking beyond Magnepan/MMG into Proac or B&W realms?

Opinions, experiences, and wild guesses all welcome.

Nepherim, Jan 9, 2008
  2. Nepherim

Tenson Moderator

I would make sure it it indeed the speakers at fault. If its only one channel this suggests actual damage to one of the speakers or the amp I would think. It seems unlikely to be the source since you said it does it on music and movies.

You need to do some elimination of possible causes. Like try switching the speakers around and see if the problem follows the speaker. You know the drill.

Tenson, Jan 9, 2008
  3. Nepherim

It's definitely the speaker, as the problem follows the speaker when they are switched. The other speaker also breaks up shortly after, so there's a minor imbalance. Even if it wasn't, it's time for something new :)

Nepherim, Jan 10, 2008
  4. Nepherim

rodrat

I think the Nait will struggle. I have 2.5r's and a 70w per channel 6550 tube amp can't do loud.

rodrat, Jan 10, 2008
  5. Nepherim

ADPully

The Naim is just 30 Watt output -It will most likely struggle with
    the Maggies
    Andy

ADPully, Jan 10, 2008
  6. Nepherim

rollo

Having owned MGAs and 3As [ in storage ]. Maggies need power[ voltage ] to perform their best. At least 100W/ ch. more is preferred. They will play loud but not rock levels. They need to be at least 6 Ft. apart slightly toed in [ 3" ] with the tweeters on the outside, yes outside. Maggies will reval everything wrong in front of them. The ribbon tweeters are not forgiving. Hope you have a good source component cause your gonna need one. As far as the sub M&K subs have a wonderfull synergy with Maggies. You can find one used for $350US or so. Good luck trying and have fun. Theres just something about those Maggies, love em.

rollo

rollo, Jan 10, 2008
  7. Nepherim

On paper the Nait 30W is a problem -- is there anyone with some experience with a Nait though, as they seem to be able to supply more that the 30W paper specs. Wish my head wasn't so stuck on panel speakers :)

rollo: In terms of positioning, they'll be around 6' apart. Thanks for the suggestion of the M&K sub.

Nepherim, Jan 13, 2008
Ask a Question