Speaker Balance Question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by kmac, Feb 18, 2007.

1. kmac

kmac

Thanks guys, just spoke to the dealer and he said if I swapped the valves round and the emphasis moved then they would send me a new pair of valves - if not they would have to get the amp in.

kmac, Feb 19, 2007
  2. kmac

zanash

good one .....

I just consider valves to be consumables and factor that in so after about 18months I'll be due to replace them ...

zanash, Feb 19, 2007
  3. kmac

melorib Lowrider

I have the same problem with my Cayin, I think, never swapped the speaker cables, maybe I will try on the weekend...

The dealer said it cannot be a bias problem on the output tubes, and suggested I swap the small tubes, wich I did without change...

Luckily I have balance control, so at least it sounds ok...

melorib, Feb 19, 2007
  4. kmac

kmac

Only the pre-amp stage of my integrated is valve. I swapped the vales and the emphasis changed suggesting that it is a valve issue in my case. Dealer is obtaining replacement valves for me.

Antonio I would like to get to the bottom of the issue even if I had balance control.

kmac, Feb 20, 2007
  5. kmac

Tenson Moderator

Excellent, sounds like you will have it sorted shortly then :) As Andy said you can buy matched valves.

Tenson, Feb 20, 2007
  6. kmac

Andy registered grazer

I know what you mean kmac. If it was my amp and i had to alter the balance control to get the image right i'd always have a niggling feeling in the back of my mind that something wasn't right.
    Terrible thing, compulsion.:JOEL:

Glad a solution's in the pipeline mate.

Andy, Feb 20, 2007
  7. kmac

melorib Lowrider

I do want to get to the bottom of the issue, but...

I am afraid I will have to replace the power tubes, wich means re-bias, and I dont want to do that, open the amplifier, buy multimeter, etc, so, if it is not the speakers, and I doubt it is, it will have to do with balance until further problems...

melorib, Feb 21, 2007
  8. kmac

kmac

Got Golden Dragon replacement tubes - emphasis issues now sorted.

Antonio - is that your home set-up in your avatar? And are those room treatments behind your speakers?

Looks very good if it is.

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
  9. kmac

melorib Lowrider

Thanks...

They are leather and cotton Indian rugs to improve the acoustics of the room, there is also a rattan screen on the right corner and a bookshelf on the left...

[​IMG]

melorib, Feb 23, 2007
  10. kmac

la toilette Downright stupid

...and now you're comfortable with swapping valves around, you can spend lots of time and money trawling the net for alternative brands/models etc! I quite liked the golden dragons I had, but I prefer the nos RCA's I replaced them with ;) .

la toilette, Feb 23, 2007
  11. kmac

kmac

Well I'd say more comfortable than before. I understand I can now swap tubes of the same model but other brands.

What I don't understand is what determines which models can/cannot be used:confused: Any resources I can read up on this subjuct woukld be appreciated.

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
  12. kmac

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

There are a lot of web pages and discussions about tubes which you can easily find, but to answer the simple question: what are the basic data and substitutes, I like the database at Tube Data Sheet Locator

SteveC, Feb 23, 2007
  13. kmac

harry111

KMAC
    (I'm new on this Forum) - Has yr set-up been fixed?
    How did you do it?
    If not can you advise latest news-I'm reading yr post of 18Feb2007 -if you're not familiar with tubes (UK=Valves), I suspect you are better off leaving them alone, at least uuntil you have some replacements.
    Incidently 12AX7 are small-signal valves, (probably under 2" high)....hope that helps. Are they glowing dull-orange equally? (like a torch that's nearly dead - is the best description).
    Regards.

harry111, Feb 23, 2007
  14. kmac

kmac

Thanks Harry but the dealer provided me with replacement valves (tubes, bottles etc) which have fixed the problem.

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
  15. kmac

kmac

Nice big room, very tastefully decorated. May I be so impertinent as to ask where you got the sofas from:D Am looking for a good "listening couch"

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
  16. kmac

la toilette Downright stupid

Another good site for valve info is:
    http://www.vacuumtubes.com/
    It's a US site that sells a lot of vintage used and nos valves, but also lists a fair amount of variants and manufacturers so is a good source of info. This is the page for 12ax7 (ecc83) info:
    http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

No good if you want recently manufactured valves though....as I don't think they sell them.

la toilette, Feb 23, 2007
  17. kmac

kmac

Looks like a good site - thanks for the info

kmac, Feb 23, 2007
  18. kmac

melorib Lowrider

I bought them in Riga, Latvia, a bit out of hand for you... ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2007
    melorib, Feb 25, 2007
  19. kmac

kmac

Yeah I subsequently noticed you location details.

Enjoy the set-up - it looks great

kmac, Feb 26, 2007
  20. kmac

harry111

12AX7 and ECC83 are a pair of small-signal triodes - typically used in the middle-section (between main gain and output pair)..often the tone-controls will feature between the two sections and as far as I know they are still made in the east, probably on old UK/US equipment.
    Also I recall that E88CC is another varient (specifically of ECC88) with additional "quality" mostly this is the degree of vacuum and gold-plating of the pins.
    Glad to learn yr dealer fixed the amp - but what op-stage does yr amp have if the only obvious valves (US=Tubes) are small-signal triodes?

Could it be a transistor amp with valve pretentions - ie the valves are there to add that certain class?
    If your source is a CD-player then I suspect you don't need the extra gain.
    Another use of ECC83/12AX7 was as a phase-splitter..where each anode would feed into one power-stage via capacitors obviously. So it is possible there was one triode which wasn't up to it and hence that channel lacked something. This most obviously showed-up as being out of balance.
    Everything is OK then?
    It may be an idea to get some spares - valves are increasingly difficult to source. If stored carefully in their boxes they should last years. Furthermore they don't suffer "wounding" that can beset integrated circuits, although one on a pcb this effect is rarely seen. Valves can lose their vacuum, particularly if their pins get bent! so handle with care....but you probably sensed this....

harry111, Feb 26, 2007
Ask a Question