Speaker Cable - How good is this?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dreftar, Jun 29, 2007.

1. dreftar

darrylfunk

can i ask for more technical reasons please ?

how will this effect the music ?

how does the cable know to distort the music in the descibed fashion ?

i am not getting this at all , please could the cable experts explain this phenomenom.

cheers.

darrylfunk, Jul 3, 2007
  2. dreftar

Tenson Moderator

I thought it was the silver that reacts with the hot co-extrusion of Teflon, rather than the copper? But you are probably right and I am wrong. You could just use something other than Teflon, like polyurethane.

Tenson, Jul 3, 2007
  3. dreftar

Effem Cable manufacturer

Better still, forget the technical mumbo jumbo and pop down to your local friendly hi-fi dealer and audition the different types of cables and select the one that sounds right for you.

Effem, Jul 3, 2007
  4. dreftar

zanash

Also silver was used to stop metal leaching in the solder joints between dissimilar metals ie gold silver copper tin ....not the thing you want in a billion dollar aircraft.

Silver plated copper ....is not unslistenable....in the same way as steel or tin but when compared to straight copper or silver you can hear the sweetness thats lost. Effem has it spot on you end up with all the worst aspects of copper and silver.

When you hear people describe silver cables as bright shrill analytical etc ....they are not describing "pure" silver they are taking about a CuAg mix .

A short tale

A chap from scotland contacted me as his KAS maestro IC's had developed a fault ...he sent them down to me. I had a quick hunt round the web as I was unfamiliar with them.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/kasaudiocables_e.html

http://www.kasaudio.com/maestro.asp

so I was expecting great things....

it was clear once I'd stripped the heatshrink back that one of the ground connections had come adrift....easy peasy snip back and resolder But whats this why is there pink showing [pink means copper]. I still have the photo's too ! So I go back to the descriptions, no where is it mentioned that they use silverplated copper .... you can read them in the link above

So thinking that this may be a rogue sample ...I emailed the company and attached the pics showing the copper.....that was a year ago ..still waiting for a reply

so what I'm saying is don't get seduced by the technical bits and specs ...how are you going to check anyway ?

The fact that it specifically does not mention the copper content can be left open for debate ...but I know what I think.

I have no knowledge as to the make up of the current KAS cables ...so please bear that in mind when you read this....I only had one cable to go on

Mind you I built a duplicate set without the fancy jackets using 2x1mm 99.99% Ag in ptfe it was quite an eye opener to hear the difference ...

banpe2006 currently has these green sheathed beasts along with my stepped attenuator ...may be he'd like to comment .

zanash, Jul 4, 2007
  5. dreftar

la toilette Downright stupid

I went from some ecosse copper speaker cables to some silver plated cable, and at first I liked the extra detail I seemed to get and tbh the bass seemed a bit clearer/tighter, but when I subsequently tried putting the copper cable back in it seemed to calm things down in a pleasant way, but with no loss of detail. I suppose from that you could interpret that the silver plated cables were adding a bit of harshness, I don't know, but I've kept the copper cables in place.

That said, I still use silver plated copper interconnects (diy) as when I did a/b comparisons (using a cd player with 2 outputs) I found zero difference between them and some kimbers, audioquest, cambridge audio, and other diy interconnects I had made up.

Make up your own mind I suppose.

la toilette, Jul 4, 2007
  6. dreftar

darrylfunk

i think you guys are assuming i know nothing about cables and electronics....

i don't feel your explanations are accurate.

i make my own cables by selecting the best ldr and physical qualities to match the system its being used in.

but then i have worked in the pro arena where there is less guff.

i still want to know why you believe silver plated cables cannot transmit music along between audio components without distorting the signal.

darrylfunk, Jul 4, 2007
  7. dreftar

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Sounds eminently sensible to me.

Wish I had that ability.

bottleneck, Jul 4, 2007
  8. dreftar

zanash

ears...those flapy things on the side of your head ...its good to occasionally engage them and listen.....thats what this hobby is about ...not specs and oscilloscopes.

If you can't tell the difference between two set of cables ..then you have nothing to worry about...if you can then you chose the one that best suits your tastes ...not mine, not your mate down the road , but yours. Thats the end of the story .....

The number of times I've tried the best RLC etc or the supposed best thickness and strand number and ended up with a sh*te sounding cable .... Free yourself up a bit use what little grey matter you have and don't blindly accept supposedly latest gospel relating to cable ... Remember when spinach was supposed to be really good for you ..as it contained so much "iron" well the guy in the 1870's who said this got his maths wrong by a factor of ten ..it was not untill someone in the thirties decided to double check... like the recent ribbena scandel
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinach
    http://timworstall.typepad.com/419_er_watch/2007/03/the_great_riben.html

don't blindly accept everything ....

zanash, Jul 4, 2007
  9. dreftar

zanash

Ah the pro arena ...yes of course now things drop into place !

I tell you what ....You use your "pro cables" .....and I'll use my inferior ones that don't have the right specs....no problem.

....as you obviously know best, I bow to your superior intellect and knowledge... I'm humbled to be in your presence.

[thats irony not sarcasm]

So why don't you tell use where we are going wrong ?

We had a local mixing deck/studio equipment maker, back in the 80's....they used to use the cheapest copper bell wire cable [as everyone knows cables don't effect the sound] they could find to wire the modules together....till one of the chaps as a joke or prank tried something different [I think it was speaker cable qed 49 strand] ...It was a while before they tracked down why the unit sounded better than all the others. It came as bit of shock to learn that just changing the cable links could effect the final sound ...from then on they payed much more attention to the wire they used ...

zanash, Jul 4, 2007
  10. dreftar

darrylfunk

i think some hi fi fiddlers should listen to more music not their cables and tweaks , some people have very vivid imaginations to be honest.
    the amount of people who post at least one tweak or more a week on here adds upto very little time to appreciate a good song.
    having worked in mastering i am stunned at some of the things people believe they are hearing.

is it a case of gear with red led's = warm & lush
    and blue led's = cold & clinical

silver = bright
    copper = warm
    cotton dialectric = organic fluidity
    pvc dialectric = plasticky artificial

its all magic isnt it.

in my opinion of course.

darrylfunk, Jul 4, 2007
  11. dreftar

darrylfunk

zanash as you are the self appointed magician of tweaks and cables on here can you tell us why your cables are better than everyone elses.

you seem to be suggesting that the ldr of the cable is not important.

then again you seem to rate behringer gear too.

oh well.

darrylfunk, Jul 4, 2007
  12. dreftar

Effem Cable manufacturer

You seem to be afflicted with the same disease apparently, judging by the amount of severe compression found in music software nowadays. If you were mastering recordings back in the days before 1990 then you might have some credibilty otherwise it's a case of the pot calling the kettle black :rolleyes:

In your opinion of course. I like people that makes themselves look daft, it saves others having to do it for them.

Effem, Jul 4, 2007
  13. dreftar

darrylfunk

effem.

can you tell me what i have mastered.
    can you tell me my age.
    my system.
    etc etc.

you are always on the attack but have nothing valid to say.

i do hope you enjoy your endless audiophile masterbation.

i'm off to listen to some music.

p.s. my first mastering job was 1988.

good day to you gentlemen.

i am afraid i must get ready for work later .
    i hapen to be doing a gig ( live sound engineering and dj-ing ).

keep on fiddling your system will become majickal.

darrylfunk, Jul 4, 2007
  14. dreftar

Czechchris

What a great soundbite for current music production values:

"audiophile masterbation"

Czechchris, Jul 4, 2007
  15. dreftar

Lynn SkeptiK

Anyone know what make-up Cable Talk Bi-wire 3.1 is?

I bought back it back in the day when I listened to what reviews said.

Tis very bright. Or at least, it seemed very bright when I switched it for the ubiquitous QED 79 I was using before.

Ta.

Lynn SkeptiK, Jul 4, 2007
  16. dreftar

Effem Cable manufacturer

No, and I don't care either.

I don't "attack" anybody, I just ask pertinent questions, make logical statements and ridicule those with a bad attitude that deserve it. What I don't like is someone looking down on others when they have no right whatsoever to do so.

If you see no merit whatsoever in any form of tweakery then at least be honest and upfront about it, say your piece and leave it at that, not start repeatedly baiting the posters who disagree with your stance or have overtly more enthusiasm and passion for the hobby than you do. It is isn't illegal or immoral to tweak the last I heard.

Effem, Jul 4, 2007
  17. dreftar

darrylfunk

i wont bother quoting you as everyone can see you are just attacking me as you cant ansewer my questions ...

can you prove you guys have more passion for music than me ?

no didnt think so

can i prove you are arch fiddlers who dont give a hoot about a tune ....

well it speaks for itself.

better get back to shaving the sides of your blue led ionisers and painting the sides in majick ink.

darrylfunk, Jul 4, 2007
  18. dreftar

Effem Cable manufacturer

?

Effem, Jul 4, 2007
  19. dreftar

zanash

well you got it right in the end.

and as this is only ever someones opinion ...perhaps you could let that person make one for themselves ?

ie try the various options and then using there "own" judgment make a choice that suits there situation the best.

zanash, Jul 4, 2007
  20. dreftar

Effem Cable manufacturer

Zanash, he's been baiting you for most of this thread so don't waste your time on someone who won't and cannot listen. I really do wonder sometimes what motivates these people to troll on forums :rolleyes: I don't like celery but I haven't berated or pilloried anyone yet for eating the damn stuff and leave them to enjoy their digusting foul tasting vegetable in peace, but these forum trolls seem to regard any sort of tweak as a threat to their entire existance. :D If it doesn't float yer boat ignore it; how difficult can that truly be??????????

Effem, Jul 4, 2007
Ask a Question