Speaker cable lengths.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Snoo, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Snoo

penance Arrogant Cock

Zanash, if you know better than science please do share....

penance, Feb 7, 2011
  2. Snoo

zanash

so you use disimilar length speaker cable in your system ...yes ..no ?

here's another question for you to ponder ...

if you had two pairs of interconnect cable ..one pair of equal lenght and one of dissimilar lengths ...which are you going to use to connect your £2.5K cdp to your £3k pre amp ?

its not my fault physics is the way it is .....if you change the electrical characteristics of one cable ...ie its length as compared to its stereo twin .... it will have an effect of the transmittion of the music signal .....

whether you have or your system has the resolving ability to hear it or not does not mean the effect is not there.

If you have or condone a sloppy regime in hifi setup ..... ie if you introduce enough cables of different lengths or different types or different electrical characteristics you will eventually discover that your not allowing your hifi to perform at its best .....

I do feel for those of you who can see/hear this ....as its seem if you actually believe this doctrine " it doesn't matter what you used any old bit of wire of any length will do " its very clear your not allowing the very expensive hifi to give of there very best ..

thats my final word on the topic ......if you don't like tough !

or do you doubt that too ?

zanash, Feb 7, 2011
  3. Snoo

nando nando

god has no hi-ifi only fidelity, as far as moving my ears i don't have to, my tannoys do that perfectly no matter where i am in the house , no need for a sweet spot don't need it,

nando, Feb 7, 2011
  4. Snoo

penance Arrogant Cock

You mean beyond your understanding.

Please show your calculations to quantify this, I doubt you can as it is meaningless dribble.

That old chesnut!
    It is not about whether there is a measurable change but about whether that change is discernable, which it wont be.

Straight from the salemans mouth, there you have it people.

penance, Feb 7, 2011
  5. Snoo

nando nando

well put penance, to each it's own preference, and advice is out of the window, so when people want advice on their systems, do not ask here ,send them to the nearest dealer they will gladly tell them to go to maplin, further more everyone has a vision of what they experienced through out "if any here" worked in retail from the wonderful 70's and messed about with nothing more than bell wire and simple interconects, no gold plated crap, then as time went on we , well almost all of us found out the good and bad cables had a substantial effect on your hi-fi.

nando, Feb 7, 2011
  6. Snoo

Dev Moderator

You could just as easily argue that longer cables are more susceptible to interference and coiled up cables may introduce inductance.

I'd say, save money and use the shortest length you can of a reasonably thick cable.

Dev, Feb 7, 2011
  7. Snoo

Labarum

mmm

Interference? A that low impedance and relatively high voltage. I doubt it.

Inductance? Doesn't the coiled twin cable form two opposing coils and in theory a non-inductive winding?

Labarum, Feb 7, 2011
  8. Snoo

nando nando

resistors in conductivity of electric current flow are coils,

nando, Feb 7, 2011
  9. Snoo

Labarum

Labarum, Feb 7, 2011
  10. Snoo

felix part-time Horta

Yes, and not just in theory - I've tried measuring it before to call BS on the 'dont coil it myth that permeates...

I took 4.0metres of NACA5, one of the more inductive cables on the market, because of the wide spacing between the conductors. Laid out straight, shorted one end...: 3.7uH. Coiled into the tightest flat coil I could arrange (total 8inch outside diameter)..: 4.1uH. So the cancellation isn't perfect... but 0.4uH into 8ohms makes a difference of 0.02dB at 20Khz. Very, very insignificant IMO...

Mescalito is spot-on - pair-matching in most speakers is probably only 2dB or so; as is channel balance in most good-quality attenuators (many aren't even that good). Either of these is 100x worse in terms of mismatch.

Moral - coil it up, chop it off, or just dont buy the excess cable in the first place.

felix, Feb 7, 2011
  11. Snoo

nando nando

oh well, in the end is practice and not theory i guess we are too busy looking at facts on paper and technicals issues that no longer we use our integrity of hearing the difference, maybe we can't and then maybe we do, sorry if i don't make my self clear, but i beg to differ on some of some views, thanks but.......

nando, Feb 7, 2011
  12. Snoo

Dev Moderator

Sorry Brian. I should've read my post before submitting. I was merely trying (badly:)) to say that if you can argue that the length of cable affects impedance significantly you can just as easily argue that coiling up the cable can affect inductance. Of course I've never seen anyone wind it up so tightly and as you say we'd have 2 opposing coils anyway.

Neither argument holds water really, but when has that stopped anyone:D. I saw a cable vendor "demonstrating" the effects of interference at a show a few years ago.

Dev, Feb 7, 2011
  13. Snoo

Snoo

Wow, 3 pages!!!
    I spent a good few years polishing fuses, placing tile spacers under gear and making my own cables. Whilst I can't say I ever heard a difference, I did enjoy it. I've come to the point of being a bit less precious about my hifi. New house and twin babies taking my attention. Chopped the left cable purely for room aesthetics. Sounds fine. Thanks for the opinions folks. As you were. ;-)

Snoo, Feb 7, 2011
  14. Snoo

RobHolt Moderator

Amen!

RobHolt, Feb 7, 2011
  15. Snoo

Labarum

Alleluia! Amen!

Labarum, Feb 8, 2011
  16. Snoo

Mescalito

You make yourself perfectly clear, Nando. You want to believe that audiophoolery makes a difference, so to you, it does.

Chris

Mescalito, Feb 8, 2011
  17. Snoo

Snoo

I've been getting into a bit of music production in previous years. There is a very highly regarded mastering engineer named Bob Katz and in one of his books there is a statement:
    "Wearing a hat with a brim will put at notch in your hearing at 2KHz".

Since reading that I've stopped buying expensive cables and started wearing better hats.

Snoo, Feb 8, 2011
  18. Snoo

nando nando

i do not believe that cables should cost the price that some are selling for on the contrary, you can get cables at a fraction of the price witch sound super, me i always use LAT, that's my preference, not every one wears the same hat.

nando, Feb 8, 2011
  19. Snoo

stebbo

A quick back of a fag packet calculation shows the difference in cable length to make an audible difference would need be in the region of 13metres. Even then a change to speaker positioning would negate that.

However there is one reason to keep speaker cable lengths the same. If at some point you wish to sell them on, it is easy to sell a pair the same length than different lengths.

stebbo, Feb 9, 2011
  20. Snoo

Mescalito

In the situation where there are speaker leads of equal length, the effect of listening to a system with 1 cable is 0.5m and the other is 10m can be duplicated by moving your head by 22 microns (about a thousandth of an inch).

So, you can see, the imaging and phase coherence is going to be totally f*cked up by assymetric cabling!

Chris

Mescalito, Feb 9, 2011
Ask a Question