Speaker cable life expectancy?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cristphoto, May 17, 2020.

1. cristphoto

cristphoto

Is there a guideline for how long speaker cables will last? I was adding a component recently and got a close-up look at my speaker cables that are about 20-25 years old. They're 12 gauge with a clear jacket so I could see the strands and they appeared to have lost their bright copper color and appeared a dull brown shade. There wasn't any green corrosion color but I'm curious if there is an age limit. Thanks.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    cristphoto, May 17, 2020
  2. cristphoto

wallace Only slightly barmy

No guidelines,your cables will out live you i imagine,But if you have some spare cash why not buy some new ones.I,for one would be very interested to know if you can hear a difference.

wallace, Jul 9, 2020
  3. cristphoto

JohnnyL

I can relate to what you are talking about. I have some 30 year old monster that looks back in spots now. Seems brittle now after I stripped of the jacket. I don't have a meter but would be very curious to how it would test. My feeling is probably not great

JohnnyL, Feb 11, 2022
  4. cristphoto

JohnnyL

I did actually buy some pure copper 14 gauge and cut 2- 9 foot pieces. I was using 10 gauge Monster that was rotten. If I striped off the jacket strands would just break off. So in short yes I could hear a difference and for the better.

JohnnyL, Apr 13, 2022
  5. cristphoto

lawrence001

No need to replace it, it's just the exposed ends that have oxidised. Cut off half an inch at each end and strip the coating back and you've got a fresh pair of cables.

lawrence001, May 5, 2022
    Sergeauckland likes this.
  6. cristphoto

JohnnyL

Not true. Mine is just falling apart and not just at the ends.

JohnnyL, Aug 2, 2022
  7. cristphoto

Sergeauckland

The insulation of 'speaker cables, or indeed any cables, can degrade with time, the effect of atmospheric oxygen and ultraviolet light, so they won't last 'forever' but will for a very long time, Unless the copper has gone brittle, any corrosion will be just on the surface, so won't affect audio to any great extent, but sticky cables aren't nice so should be replaced. I've used QED 79 strand or 15 amp two core mains cable perfectly happily, so you definitely DON'T need anything fancier.

S

Sergeauckland, Aug 2, 2022
    JohnnyL likes this.
  8. cristphoto

JohnnyL

In my case the Monster I was using (25-30 years old) was very brittle and just falling apart when you cut into it. It sounded like it looked.

JohnnyL, Aug 2, 2022
Ask a Question