Speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Neil, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Neil

Neil

I know there are many experienced in pro-audio / studio stuff here so would like to ask advice. I do believe cables have an influence on sound so am looking for a cable which is not a retrograde step from eg Kimber 8TC / Zu wax which I currently like.
    Any recommendations?

Neil, Jul 6, 2008
  2. Neil

amir

Kimber is good for the price
    CRL (Cable Research Lab) is so good and i recommend to listen it

amir, Jul 7, 2008
  3. Neil

darrylfunk

hi there,
    can i ask what your kit is and what problem are you having with your existing cable loom ?

regards
    darryl.

darrylfunk, Jul 7, 2008
  4. Neil

Neil

Hi Darryl,
    Kit - Heavily modded WAD KIT 6550 push pull valve amp to Merlin vsm-m speakers. Existing cable is Kimber 8TC - I've tried more exotic Kimber but the price differential/diminishing returns thing kicks in. I liked Tony's coherent cable but again it's pricey. I don't have a problem with it as such but if there is a genuine "pro" alternative which gives the same quality at a favourable price then I'm keen to try it.
    I'm a little less keen on boutique gear these days.

Neil, Jul 7, 2008
  5. Neil

darrylfunk

i'm guessing you could try a large cross section cable like a 4mm van damme type studio cable but i don't really think you have much to gain , it will be swings and roundabouts.
    you would get more value doing front end upgrades if your amp speaker combo is working to your satifaction.
    imho.
    regards
    darryl.

darrylfunk, Jul 7, 2008
  6. Neil

Neil

Thanks Darryl - I might give the VD ago. Just to see, if you know what I mean.

Neil, Jul 7, 2008
  7. Neil

hifi addict

Audience cable is worth a try. might be worth giving JJ at SOM a call, Dave at Brighton Hifi, or Dave at Highend cables a call. I notice Highend cable have the Nordost Odin in stock. It might be worth a listen.

hifi addict, Jul 7, 2008
  8. Neil

Neil

Thanks, HF addict, I've never heard Audience cable, another one to add to the audition list. Thanks.

Neil, Jul 7, 2008
  9. Neil

hifi addict

There is another, The Synergistic Research Tesla X4 cable with active shielding.

hifi addict, Jul 7, 2008
  10. Neil

hifinutt

there is a lovely pair of audience au24 on wigwam and also kondo worth a go . both mint and good prices

hifinutt, Jul 7, 2008
  11. Neil

defride

From my limited experience of the 'pro' fraternity 'bellwire' is the order of the day. They are simply not interested. A Grammy Award winning engineer I know always has a quick look around the back of my kit when hes around and rolls his eyes! Cost appears the main driver when they install cables for new equipment (there are probably exceptions).

I've mentioned it in other threads but check out Anti-cables. They've worked for me.

defride, Jul 9, 2008
Ask a Question