speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oceanobsession, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

oceanobsession, Dec 5, 2007
  2. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

All that technology speak on the site and not a single measurement anywhere!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Stereo Mic, Dec 5, 2007
  3. oceanobsession

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

You could just try shutting up.....;-)

they make high purity copper with very low grain boundaries when drawn. it can't sound any worse than basic OFC...

sq225917, Dec 5, 2007
  4. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

One of these days you might learn to do the same. The wink is pathetic BTW. Come down and visit me ;-)

Stereo Mic, Dec 5, 2007
  5. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

Can't sound any better either....

Stereo Mic, Dec 5, 2007
  6. oceanobsession

Wickfut

here we go again ....

Wickfut, Dec 5, 2007
  7. oceanobsession

mosfet

“Believe in Your Ear!â€Â

Does this mean cable believers' heads have mutated/evolved into a single mono ear? Freakish.

mosfet, Dec 5, 2007
  8. oceanobsession

ADPully

I had a hard day at work saw this link and laughed.
    I bet SM opened the link and sighed very hard.

BTW SM has influenced me -I read specs more carefully nowadays
    -it says 7N = 99.99998 on the link -Isnt that 6N ?

Andy

ADPully, Dec 5, 2007
  9. oceanobsession

oceanobsession

what is very clear to me is that these cable manufacturers are making a fortune but i would like to buy good cable at the right price this does appear to be where all the good cable comes from see linc http://www.soundstageav.com/onhifi/20060415.htm if it can be sourced from the states for half the price then this is where i shall be bying it ive found it on ebay item no 180186988648 looks cheap compared with cord etc and it does appear quility cheers is sm a nightmare then

oceanobsession, Dec 5, 2007
  10. oceanobsession

rollo

SM, what measurements are you looking for exactly? If we went by measurements alone why not go out and buy one of those S/S Sansui's or something else that measures so well. Why? Cause they SOUND like crap. Measurements do not tell the whole story. Especially the final SOUND.
    Your in such a minority with your opinion about cables that your You of course are entitled to your opinion but your in the minority IMO.
    Why don't we take a survey of ZG members as follows; those who do hear a difference and those who do not.
    Now without being insulting by comparison all the people I know who cannot hear a difference are tone deaf and they admit

they cannot tell a difference. You could very well be tone deaf as well. This is not an insult or excuse but an observation based on experience. Even my wife who dosnn't even critically listen to my system can tell when I change a cable, especially when one is copper and one silver. It amazes me to this day that she knows. BTW she plays Guitar.

rollo

rollo, Dec 5, 2007
  11. oceanobsession

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I have a classic Sansui amp.

I think it sounds great.

I play fhe guitar.

I think that most cables sound the same, and that when they don't they have differing LCR.

I'm not your wife however! ;)

bottleneck, Dec 5, 2007
  12. oceanobsession

rollo

Sansui was my first set up. Still have the tunerI believe the Intergrated was a AU 9500 or something. It did sound great at the time with Heco horn [ Germany] speakers.
    The SET's which I own now do not measure as well and sound sooooooo much better.
    Without sounding dumb, what is LCR?

thanks,
    rollo

rollo, Dec 5, 2007
  13. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

Well LCR for typical 8ft or 10ft lengths would show refreshing honesty. Sadly I suspect it would give too much away - but I'd like to see that as a minimum requirement enforced by the advertising standards authority.

As for being in a minority - well a poll would be interesting. There are a lot of people who don't buy into audiophile marketing - both here and on other forums.

Stereo Mic, Dec 5, 2007
  14. oceanobsession

Bob McC living the life of Riley

Wehey - another roll out of the old 'my wife could spot the ink blackness' rubbish!

Bob McC, Dec 5, 2007
  15. oceanobsession

cooky1257

Someone who uses cryogenically treated Isolda speaker cables that run to about £60/m really is in no position to criticise anyone else's cable choice and should STFU until he votes with his pocket, his so called vast audio experience and his ears, and switches back to something bog standard and 'normal' like he insists everyone else should use.

cooky1257, Dec 5, 2007
  16. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

I'm not telling anyone what to do if you try reading. I am pointing out the facts. There are no measurements whatsoever. Loads of tech but no measurements. Don't you stop to wonder why?

You on the other hand seem to be trying to tell me what to do which is both ironic and highly amusing.

If you can find me a less expensive alternative with the same ultra low inductance / high capacitance LCR I'll happily swap out and sell on this stuff and pocket the money. Any suggestions?

Stereo Mic, Dec 5, 2007
  17. oceanobsession

banpe2006

This arguing about everything to do with cables is quite dull now. I can see why people report getting titsed off with ZG...it is becoming quite anal _______ change the record someone please..............

banpe2006, Dec 5, 2007
  18. oceanobsession

George Sallit

You could try the Virtual Dynamics site that has measurements from the University of Toronto, slew rate, noise ...

George Sallit, Dec 5, 2007
  19. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

It's odd that George. I mean there's no discussion of those results anywhere that I can find. Which is bizarre. I can't find any sets of measurements for their audio cables though and I know they have a "reputation" in the industry.

The best source of cable measurements I can find is of course Audioholics, who have run a number of proper scientific cable tests over the years. Very interesting reading if you are worrying about cables and looking to save some money.

Stereo Mic, Dec 5, 2007
  20. oceanobsession

mosfet

link

mosfet, Dec 5, 2007
Ask a Question