Speaker cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jimbo, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

I am going to change my speaker cables as the Rega flat braided ones are too harsh in the top end. Does anybody use Rega cable as i dont often hear it mentioned. My gear is Esound CD-E5 cd player, Shengya A10CS amp, and Epos 11 speakers(to be changed in the future perhaps). Was thinking of Chevin Audio CA4 cables at about £110 for 5m lengths or Xindak FS-1 at about £250+. I would need two lenghts of the FS-1 as my amp has four connections per channel. Has anyone got any thoughts or tried these cables. Have heard the Chevin cables and they are smoother in the top end with more bass and better detail than the Rega's. But are the FS-1s that much better even taking into concideration i would be buying from China and getting value for money. Thanks Jim.

Jimbo, Apr 9, 2006
  2. Jimbo

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Apr 9, 2006
  3. Jimbo

zanash

Agreed, it's not totally pants and is pretty cheap........don't be tempted by silver plated copper this can exhibit the worst parts of copper and silvers performance together ....horrid !

Silver solid core .....will be hard to beat in a "no holds" cost option

I'm now waiting for the wallies to dive in and tell you speaker cables make no difference.......they seem to be following me round at present !

zanash, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Jimbo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Jimbo

I'm a big fan of Epos ES11 speakers - in some areas they are really magical. When I owned a pair I noticed that the treble could be a little strident in certain setups/rooms/situations.

Have you tried an alternative pair of speakers already?

bottleneck, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Jimbo

julian2002 Muper Soderator

jimbo,
    i use the monoblock power amp versions of your amp with chord odyssey 2 which sounds ok. i'm still trying to make up my mind as to whether they sound better bi or single wired. i'll also be trying solid silver wire in the near future.
    best tweak i've done in a long time was a bada power conditioner and some silver mains leads might be worth while starting at this end rather than the speakers. just a thought.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Jimbo

Jimbo

These Maplin cables are cropping up so i may consider them certainly a cheaper option. Bottleneck no i haven't tried any others yet. As you may remember i was going for those Von Scheirkert ( what ever they are called) but now i am considering making my own, possibly somewhere like Wilmslow Audio. Julian was it you looking for a 250w amp. Did you look at the Korsun V8i. I bet its a monster if i compared it to mine which is big enough. Jim.

Jimbo, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Jimbo

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

there are some great kits at wilmslow. Youd probably get a great sound and a fun experience in the build too.

great fun :)

bottleneck, Apr 10, 2006
  8. Jimbo

Question123

i found the van-damme lacking bass in conparison to QEDXT400

Question123, Apr 10, 2006
  9. Jimbo

jimbo,
    if you are looking into making your own speakers, take a look at ipl's kits. they certainly work well on the end of shengya / vincent amps.
    i was / am looking at big power amps however it's only a whim and i'm going to be borrowing something off a mate to try out to see if my ideas work.

julian2002, Apr 10, 2006
  10. Jimbo

Jimbo

He only does floorstanders i never seem to have heard one that i like. To me the bass midrange and treble don't seem to marry together. Standmounts come across as more musical. Perhaps i am wrong and not heard any good ones. I like the Bungalow advert above. Ilfracombe now thats a place to spend a holiday. :cool:

Jimbo, Apr 10, 2006
  11. Jimbo

he does do some compact 2 ways if you click on the 'av' side.
    i don;t find i have any integration problems with mine (but then i might not be sensitive to that particular issue). what sort of music do you listen to?
    woolacombe was once voted one of the worlds top 10 beaches been there a few times - it's lovely when it's sunny.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Apr 11, 2006
  12. Jimbo

zanash

If you want make your own I've a few recipes that may be up your street...pm me

zanash, Apr 11, 2006
Ask a Question