Speaker dilema..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Univega, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Univega

Univega

Hi,
    I'm looking to replace my speakers and have listened to the PMC GB1 & Spendor S5e, but can't quite make up my mind.
    The PMC is a touch grainy on the top end and the Spendors are too laid back. The B&Ws I'm using sound nice but are a bit boomy in my room and I'd like to smooth off the treble a bit.
    Any suggestions on speakers and cables would be great.
    Looking to spend about £1300 & would prefer floorstanders.

I'm currently using:
    Roksan Caspian M-series1 Pre-amp
    Roksan Caspian M-series1 Power-amp
    Arcam CD73T
    B&W 602S2
    Chord Chameleon Silver interconnect from pre-amp to power-amp
    Chord Cobra 3 interconnect for cd player
    Chord Carnival Bi-wire (not silver)

Cheers,
    Martin

Univega, Sep 8, 2007
  2. Univega

Jimbo

I had the same problem with boom from my Epos ES11's speakers. Tamed this with a Beringer DEQ and improved dynamics. Its a bit complicated to set up so if your not that way inclined then leave alone.
    I demo'd some Aurousal A1 speakers a few weeks back and was very impressed with them. These speakers are smooth and detailed with no boom. They like wall reinforcement and can even be placed in niches so i have read. They are standmount not floorstanders but if you have the B&W standmount speakers now i am sure you would notice the sonic delights these speakers convey over the B&W's. The best advise is to demo them in your room but it seems to me these would be just right for you concidering what you have wrote. Jim.

Jimbo, Sep 8, 2007
  3. Univega

sideshowbob Trisha

Depends entirely on the size, construction, and layout of your room, and your own personal taste. Nobody else can tell you what speakers you will like, or what will work well in your room.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 9, 2007
  4. Univega

Paul Ashworth SP10 Aficionado

I thought you could, Ian, because you know everything there is to know about anything.

--------
    Paul

Paul Ashworth, Sep 9, 2007
  5. Univega

Univega

True.
    I'm trying to get a shortlist of speakers worth listening to that might be a possible match, as there's people here that have heard far more speakers than I ever will they might be able to give some pointers.
    Any speakers I consider would be ultimately tested at home before I make a decision.

Univega, Sep 9, 2007
  6. Univega

sideshowbob Trisha

I've never made any such claim. Are you trolling?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 9, 2007
  7. Univega

Majikthise

Try some of Zanash's ics they are good for sorting out problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
    Majikthise, Sep 9, 2007
  8. Univega

Jimbo

The speakers i mentioned use Jordon drivers which funnily enugh sideshowbob has. So it would be helpful for some input from him about speakers and not turn this thread into another rage war. You should always demo speakers at home. Jim.

Jimbo, Sep 9, 2007
  9. Univega

sideshowbob Trisha

How big is your room, what sort of volume do you like to listen at, what are you options for speaker placement (free space, against the wall, in corners?), what have you heard that you really like? With that sort of information you should be able to get suggestions for a shortlist of things worth listening to. My advice would then be to try a few of them, buying secondhand and selling on anything that doesn't quite do the job, until you find what you're looking for. Buying new is a waste of money.

Speaker choice is the hardest thing in audio. Once you get it right you stop upgrading. The sound of a system is overwhelmingly determined by speakers and rooms, getting that bit sorted is 95% of the job.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 9, 2007
  10. Univega

Not at all. No offence, but you come across as a bit of a know-it-all. It's not a big deal.

------------
    Paul

11. Univega

sideshowbob Trisha

Ah, I see. You are a troll.

I have no idea who you are, but, instead of derailing this thread, if you have a problem with me, drop me a PM rather than engaging in a lot of showing off behaviour. Or, better yet, ignore me.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 9, 2007
  12. Univega

LinearMan

IMO, you have a system with components that are known to be a bit bright, shrill even. I'm thinking the 73t and the speakers. For your budget I would replace the CD and speakers, going secondhand if possible. The CA 640C or 840 even could be a good choice on the source. On the speaker front try to get a listen to the Spendor S5e, or something from Castle perhaps.

As has been commented, getting the speaker/room interaction right is the most challenging aspect of system building. By going second hand you can try out various solutions without losing a fortune on the way.

Your current interconnects and cables are fine ~ don't worry about those. ICs can make a difference, but it is just that, a difference and it is usually subtle to non existent.

LinearMan, Sep 9, 2007
  13. Univega

Don't start acting like a big girl, I'm only teasing you. I'll leave alone now to administer your sage advice.

Toodle-pip.

----------
    Paul

14. Univega

ShinOBIWAN

Paul,

Anything useful that you'd like to add to this thread?

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 9, 2007
  15. Univega

Yes, very much so, but it will need to wait until later. I'm off out now for a walk to photograph some old boats on deserted beaches.

-------
    Paul

16. Univega

sideshowbob Trisha

Are you a stalker, Paul?

Look, you clearly have a problem with me, even though I don't know you from Adam. Instead of being all surly about it and making yourself look like an adolescent in a sulk, PM me about it or just shut up.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 9, 2007
  17. Univega

ShinOBIWAN

This is a little different but I believe these speakers perform way past their price point. Try to listen to a pair of Mackie HR626. These are active designs so you'd obviously be ditching your amps which would make things cheaper still.

I've not heard the Spendor but am somewhat familiar with the GB1. The Mackies don't have the quite the same extension(still good though) but they're clearly better in the mids and highs.

You might be surprised over the usual hifi choices around that price point. A pair of the Mackies can be had for about £700-800 new.

ShinOBIWAN, Sep 9, 2007
  18. Univega

Stereo Mic

Sideshow's advice is as usual spot on and he genuinely does know it all - hopefully people can learn something from him rather than acting against the AUP.

Stereo Mic, Sep 9, 2007
  19. Univega

Andy registered grazer

Martin,
    If you have a Sevenoaks hifi store nearby, give the Monitor Audio Gold Signature 20's a try. Lovely looking speakers, nice smooth treble, great clear mids and good bass extension. If you get a home dem and like them, you could save some money by finding a good second hand pair of the Gold Reference 20's which are the older version but many say just as good.

Some people find them a little bright for their taste in the upper mids but IMO they're smooth enough to get away with it, and bring that little extra detail.

I went from B&W 601s3's which to me had a harsh, brittle treble at times to the Gold ref.10's(standmounts)which was just what i was looking for.

If those don't float your boat, you could try some Meadowlark kestrels/kestrel hotrods if you can find some. I've heard nothing but good things about these but they're now out of production so it's second hand only i'm afraid.

Best of luck.

Andy, Sep 9, 2007
Ask a Question