Speaker placement problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Apr 26, 2009.

1. thrudge

thrudge

Hi all,

I move house next week. The new listening room has several doors leading off it, which will make speaker placement a bit of a problem. It's looking like I won't be able to get both speakers against the same wall - they may have to go either side of a corner. Is this bad? If it is, is there anything I can do to improve matters? (I'm thinking along the lines room treatment).

Obviously, I'll know more about how it sounds when I eventually get the hi-fi set up, but a bit of foreknowledge would be handy.

thrudge, Apr 26, 2009
  2. thrudge

zanash

its not ideal but not necessarily a disaster either ....

make certain that the distance between you speakers is at least ten feet [imo] and that you have a couple of feet clear space either side of the speakers ....

the corner will allow you to place all the hifi in the deep recess between the speakers helping the look of things ..

remember you need to be able to live in the room as well as listen to your gear......unless you have wads of dosh and can a fford a dedicated listening room ...which is obvious by your question you have a mere mortal income.

things that you can do ....once set up

as always micro movement of the speakers can help to extinguish null or nodes in the sound

if you still have issues then try and borrow a deq2496 and mic ..to get a look at what the rooms actually doing to the sound....once you know what its doing your 90% of the way towards fixing it ....

let us know more once your move has taken place

zanash, Apr 27, 2009
  3. thrudge

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi Thrudge

Would reccomend spending a few quid on the full version of CARA software, and spending a Saturday putting your details in.

You will know at the end of that exactly what the problems will be, what frequency, what area, and what treatment will be needed.

It will also help you with speaker placement too.

BTW - there is a 'trial' version available for free download, but it's very de-featured, and doesn't do everything you would want.

Good luck

bottleneck, Apr 27, 2009
  4. thrudge

thrudge

Cheers for the replies, chaps, that's much appreciated.

thrudge, Apr 28, 2009
  5. thrudge

thrudge

Well, I've moved in. Much to my surprise, I managed to get both speakers on the same wall, rammed into the corners. (Not an easy task with horns that are 2ft square).

A quick audition last night sounded pretty darn good. A bit of tweaking in the form of angling the speakers may be in order, to improve the imaging, but apart from that it's looking like problem solved :D

thrudge, Apr 29, 2009
Ask a Question