speaker platform query...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by mr cat, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mr cat

mr cat Member of the month

hi, I've just bought a Kef Q9c centre speaker last night - what a beast it is too!

anyway, I'm placing it below my TV, but it is too tall to sit on the glass shelf (which sit about 1/2 down from the TV to the floor) - so, I'm going to remove the glass shelf but I want the speaker elevated by about 8 inches so it still kinda sits in the middle...

I was thinking just nicking a few bricks from somewhere - would this do, or are there any better options..??

cheap and cheerful ones please, but i'll consider anything...

cheers!

mr cat, Mar 22, 2005
  2. mr cat

Donut

I would have though bricks would be OK - no different from using paving slabs under floorstanding speakers. It would be very cheap too - you could always paint them to match your decor ;)
    Donut

Donut, Mar 22, 2005
  3. mr cat

yeah, bricks seem to be the best option so far....

my ex has some in her back yard - if she's out tonighjt I think I'll take a wander up there.. ;)
    that'll freak her out - as she has a coal fire and the coal shed door wouldn't shut properly with it being wet...and after Im oved out - there was a lot of snow around and there was some foot prints leading to the coal shed - some **** has been nicking the coal!! she's since put a lock on it...

mr cat, Mar 22, 2005
  4. mr cat

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

IMHO and IME having the centre speaker close to the floor sounds poor, possibly because of a strong first reflection from the floor, the presence of a resonant plastic box above (TV) and treble diffraction effects from shelf and TV edges. Firing over the top of the TV on a speaker stand was better but not ideal for me. A final solution at the distance from front wall and height of the stereo tweeters, plus a projector instead of TV, was the best solution for me.

SteveC, Mar 22, 2005
  5. mr cat

yeah, I did place the speaker on top of the tv - but it is quite big...plus there are brief periods when I have my curtains open and a lamp on (normally when I get in from work and having a cuppa) and I'm already paranoid about the fact that people can probably see my tv...and if any would be burgalar sees that sitting on the tv..!!

I would of course angle the speaker so that it faces me, but it does have a rear port, but I'm sure it'll be fine, somehow...

mr cat, Mar 22, 2005
Ask a Question