Speaker Positioning

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by James_1D, Aug 16, 2010.

1. James_1D

James_1D

Right, this is doing my head in a little.....my room dimensions are 18 foot by 11.....and I can only put my speakers against the main long side wall so speakers are well spaced apart to the sides, however as they need space behind come out from wall a good 20 inches and I'm sitting 9 feet back from that.....

Instructions tell me the high frequency drivers should cross before they hit your ears....so my question is do others agree this gives better results as a general rule, or does it depend on speaker to speaker.....cause given distance from me to speaker, that is quite an angle I'd need to toe them in by...

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  2. James_1D

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I had a pair of Avatars in an 18 x 11 foot room, fired both ways. They did sound better the 'long way' by the way... in my room, and in my circumstance.

Again, may not be an issue for you, but I needed absorbers behind my head too, listening in the nearfield the treble bounce from the back wall was noticeable after a while.

Oh yes, the original question, !! that would help. I toed them very considerably when firing this way.

bottleneck, Aug 16, 2010
  3. James_1D

dudywoxer Regaholic

It varies, from speaker to speaker. Some give a ''better'' sound if the cross over in front of the listener, others behind. (Better being subjective). Why not try two or three alternative amounts of toe in and see which is better to you.
    ________
    Wiki vaporizer

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Aug 16, 2010
  4. James_1D

James_1D

Thanks Guy. Bottleneck, I did try them length ways, but they don't work because on one side, we have french doors going into a garden room, and Mrs hated it. The other is a mare too, because the door coming into lounge from hall is right at the far corner, so when you walk in given distance you need to be out from wall, you need to kind of avoid the speaker....so not ideal....most annoying !

So at moment I've just toed them in to make sure tweeters cross, see how I get on with that !

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  5. James_1D

UK Duty Paid

Severe Toe in has its merits in helping to eliminate the central hot spot. In the cases I've known it improves the central imaging so that off axis listening is not only possible but enjoyable. Speakers either side of a TV for instance where the whole group can listen. Its easy enough to experiment with.

UK Duty Paid, Aug 16, 2010
  6. James_1D

James_1D

Ok, Hi-Fi won.....and you can strictly speaking gain access to the Garden Room........wish me luck when the Mrs sees her re-arranged lounge !!!

[​IMG]

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  7. James_1D

Dev Moderator

Good luck James.

Don't forget to post a full report afterwards:D.

Dev, Aug 16, 2010
  8. James_1D

Tenson Moderator

Why not put the Hi-Fi in the corner off to one side and just keep the speakers there? It's kinda ridiculous having the Hi-Fi blocking access to the door!

Tenson, Aug 16, 2010
  9. James_1D

UK Duty Paid

Absolutely

Apart from that I'd be happier facing them when sitting down .. sod the narrow end location

The Toe in could be a lot more than that btw start with 45 degree & open up from there

10. James_1D

James_1D

Agree, but Rome was not built in a day ! I will replace that ugly Ikea unit with a small dedicated hi-fi rack and will locate it to the right of the doors....then it will just be the speaker cable to worry about !

On the Sound front, they do sound a heck of a lot better here !

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  11. James_1D

James_1D

Ok, this will need to do or she can move this s**t around herself....so long as the speakers remain where they are !!!

[​IMG]

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  12. James_1D

James_1D

Feedback from wife "I'm not impressed that my entire lounge is arranged around 2 speakers !"

This is not too bad, that means she'll live with it......GULP......I hope !

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  13. James_1D

UK Duty Paid

Um .. I don't blame her

as I hinted I think you need to compromise & stting the speakers either side of a TV & its seating are would be more family usuable - the dvd & satellite sound are pretty damn good too.

14. James_1D

Basil

You have a rectangle of Astroturf in the middle of the room?

Basil, Aug 16, 2010
  15. James_1D

James_1D

Her choice, not mine ! I chose the speakers though !

James_1D, Aug 16, 2010
  16. James_1D

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hi

Im not suprised it sounds better. The bass on them comes right for me at about 10 feet or so away from them. Too close and the bass doesnt seem to form properly.

I have read this is to do with wavelengths, but the technicality of why that might be so I cannot provide an accurate description so will not try.

I bet the mrs will be happy when you have a smaller hifi rack and she can have her pots and things back where they normally go..

A bit of compromise on something she wants may help the pill go down! lol...

bottleneck, Aug 16, 2010
Ask a Question