Speaker spikes

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by bobby, Mar 10, 2004.

1. bobby

bobby

I've got new dynaudio 72 floorstanders and an uneven wooden floor.

how should i use the speaker spikes? obviously, i cannot run them direct into the floor. someone suggested putting the spikes on coins. maybe slate tiles?

any ideas?

bobby, Mar 10, 2004
  2. bobby

tones compulsive cantater

To me, coins seem to be as good an idea as any. Mine are on polished granite slabs (a present from the local stonemason for buying my crazy paving from him), into which I drilled spike-accomodating holes. (This actually didn't take forever, it merely seemed that way).

I personally think that the whole spikes business is highly exaggerated, just like the cables/interconnects business and that a little rockiness makes no audible difference. But then, I only play music for me, not for the entire village.

tones, Mar 10, 2004
  3. bobby

flash Two ears: two channels

Related question - speaker isolation etc

I have always assumed that the spikes are provided to allow the speakers to be connected through a layer of carpet to a solid, say concrete, floor. Something to do with dissipating unhelpful vibrations by connecting to a large mass? Someone far more scientific out there will correct me no doubt. I have a concrete floor and am happily spiked.

However many modern houses have wooden floors; what are the options here? Are you supposed to find a mass to connect to (like granite slabs or whatever)? Or can you go down the isolation route, using the same sort of principles applied to some equipment supports (like my Audiophile Base01's)? Coins under spikes will stop the floor getting marked but I'm not sure it will make any difference to the sound.

Partly I'm just curious, partly I want to know if I move house whether to avoid woden floors!

Hopefully any answers to above will also help resolve Bobby's query.

flash, Mar 10, 2004
  4. bobby

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Re: Related question - speaker isolation etc

I'm just making educated guesses here like everyone else. There are so many variables - flooring, speaker frequency range, weight, vibrations, equipment support to name but a few - that I don't believe that one answer will fit all.

I have been contributing to a Stateside thread which you may find interesting. Cones, stones, bones, and other "audiophile tweaks" on the Steve Hoffman Forums

7_V, Mar 10, 2004
  5. bobby

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Not to mention the Audiosylum tweak forum thread some time back. Nice reading. Not sure whether superballs are still around here - will have to mug some local kids.

SteveC, Mar 10, 2004
  6. bobby

jimmymcfarrell Anyone fancy a pint?

This might be a bit of a boring suggestion, but even if spikes do / dont make a difference to the sound, surley they're a good thing as they make it much harder for the speakers to fall over?!?!?

jimmymcfarrell, Mar 10, 2004
  7. bobby

Robbo

I have quick look at that forum and it looks quite good.

One of the forum rules is that debates on blind testing are banned! A great idea:D

I think I might join it.

Robbo, Mar 10, 2004
  8. bobby

michaelab desafinado

I believe it's only the "cables" area that's been designated a DBT free zone :)

AudioAsylum is OK from time to time but it's VERY US-centric. I post there from time to time.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 10, 2004
  9. bobby

Robbo

Michael,

I am talking about Steve hoffman forums. All objectivist/subjectivist debates and DBT discussions are banned.

I am not that bothered about AA, although I visit very occasionally.

Robbo, Mar 10, 2004
  10. bobby

michaelab desafinado

Oh...I see :shame:

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 10, 2004
  11. bobby

Mr.C

Just curious - is this the same Steve Hoffman, mastering 'guru', of DCC/Acoustech fame etc etc??

Mr.C, Mar 10, 2004
  12. bobby

eisenach

One solution depends on how much you're attached to a pristine floor. After reading somewhere that it can help control suspended wooden floors, I tried a cross-head screw under each spike. It gives some extra height adjustment for uneven floors, and is supposed to help with controlling resonances. It worked well for me, but you may not like the idea of screwing into your floor.

eisenach, Mar 10, 2004
  13. bobby

Robbo

Yes

Robbo, Mar 10, 2004
  14. bobby

Yes, it's that Steve Hofmann.

The forum is quite amusing from time to time. It's very US-centric and occasionally guru-centric.

Most posters there have a different view of equipment and are, in many ways, not as sophisticated as we are. Many of the members are very fond of vintage gear, tubes and turntables. The Shure V15 is considered 'King of the Cartridges' and the SET rules supreme. I would say the phrase 'pipe & slippers' could be applied.

Still, the general atmosphere is pleasant. and it's one of the forums I visit every now and again.

7_V, Mar 10, 2004
  15. bobby

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Right up your street theen Steve, but is it Lou Reed friendly I ask myself? :cool:

wadia-miester, Mar 10, 2004
  16. bobby

Oh yes.

7_V, Mar 10, 2004
  17. bobby

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

Lou who, Tone ;)

NOS-4-A2, Mar 10, 2004
  18. bobby

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I don't normally take an interest in some of the more shall we say 'prosiac' upgrades/tweaks.

I don't hear differences in cables, I don't believe that kit takes x weeks to warm up etc.

However there is one area I feel is vitally important. Speaker interface.

How the speaker interfaces with the floor does make significant changes to music, especially at higher volumes.

And for me the best solution is indeed to have the spikes interfacing directly with the floor surface. Mine interface with the wood effect flor stuff we have, admitadly this has left a few marks here and there but ultimatly the sound is best this way.

Stone and glass hardens the sound significantly.

I also tried some thingys I got from a hifi shop which were hard on top with a spongy underside, totaly destroyed the sound.

So there you go.

garyi, Mar 10, 2004
  19. bobby

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

2 x concrete pavers = one of the cheapest tweaks to try there is.

I wouldnt be without mine... makes a real difference.

bottleneck, Mar 10, 2004
  20. bobby

NOS-4-A2 Creature of the night

Try replacing the spikes with M8 RDC cones (and cone cups if you fancy). They work a treat and don't mark a wooden floor.

NOS-4-A2, Mar 10, 2004
Ask a Question