Speaker suggestions for a good friend please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

I,ve just got back from Sevenoaks, my friends about jump ship to live in Holland anyhow helped him move some of this more fragile kit down stairs before the removabod's get hold of it
    we then had a last listen to his HIFI before he packed it way

Sony SD1 into an old late 80's spectral pre/power into big
    Accoustat A1's
    .......funny how you get used to your own House sound, well despite the age of some of the kit the scale and soundstage mightly impressed me been almost a year since I heard them
    anyhow cut a long story short he was'nt keen to let the removal guys damage them I've got the speakers for now & he felt like a change now the question
    he is not a hifi guy,just loves to have a good hour or so being
    entertained by the music not the hifi he loves BIG soundstage& scale
    musical taste
    female vocal,jazz bit of classical no interest in pop/rock
    he will just want to fit and forget, not faf about with optimal degree positioning & room stuff also needs to work with the rest of he's other kit, ave size room new chalet all timber construction
    budget £4K + what ever the acoustats are worth
    BTW he did'nt like the MA GR60 or the Merlins VSM's I had the last time he visited so not really worth me offering him any suggestions

so your thoughts on poss candidates

Ya-Boo, Mar 26, 2006
  2. Ya-Boo

Tenson Moderator

If he likes vocals and jazz with a musical sound, Thorsten's speakers might do nicely actually. Being open-baffle the positioning could be easier as well.

Tenson, Mar 26, 2006
  3. Ya-Boo

Ya-Boo

Hi Simon you still up ?

Did'nt know he made speakers, I thought about mentioning him the Emotions that are the current flavor of the month elsewhere but I know very little about them and he would'nt be able to home demo them in Holland

Ya-Boo, Mar 26, 2006
  4. Ya-Boo

Tenson Moderator

Hmm, I doubt one can find the Transparence speakers Thorsten makes in Holland. Real Hi-Fi is the distributor. I may be wrong though, can you find these in Holland T?

I think I have similar taste to you Kev, just a little brighter, so I can’t comment too much.

Tenson, Mar 26, 2006
  5. Ya-Boo

Stereo Mic

Once a panel man, always a panel man.

I'd recommend Quad 989 or, if he can accomodate them, a pair of used Soundlab A1's. There's a pair of the latter going for about £6K at the moment!

Stereo Mic, Mar 27, 2006
  6. Ya-Boo

Markus S Trade

Or, for the homegrown Dutch variety, something from Final. The latest series is superb, especially with a bit of digital equalization.

Markus S, Mar 27, 2006
  7. Ya-Boo

AlexTaylor

How about some of the Tannoy prestige range?

AlexTaylor, Mar 27, 2006
  8. Ya-Boo

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Correct, there are currently only two Demo's and both in the UK south, probably the better place would Noteworthy Audio of Aylesbury.

http://noteworthyaudio.co.uk/loudspeakers2.html

Alternatively I have a pair of the "SE" Version (actually more like Prototypes, they are a little different cosmetically from the production version) with Fieldcoil Drivers at home in Edmonton (Londra).

Ciao T

3DSonics, Mar 27, 2006
Ask a Question