speaker suggestions for a Linn Classik....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wicksy111, Feb 7, 2006.

1. wicksy111

wicksy111

Hi,

I currently own a Sony micro , although it sounds pretty good I'm itching for hifi !

But have neither time nor pots of gold so have decided to save for a Linn Classik + Linn Axis/Basik

I'm on the lookout for good matching speakers under £200 s/h is fine.....

I listen to mainly rock (from classic - prog to metal:JPS: ) but also enjoy female vocals so if you can recommend anything for me to check out i would be very grateful.

I was going to buy a Sony separates system s/h circa £300 but decided the Linn would be a better investment.

Many thanks for all and any advice !

James.

wicksy111, Feb 7, 2006
  2. wicksy111

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Easiest to get hold of used because they are current are Linn Katans but they might be over your price. If there's a dealer, even the little Linn Uniks might do you for a lot less, previously known as the 5110s primarily for surround duty. These latter two models will be better than the micro until you hear something better still (they do have a small sub call Affekt too should you want one later and like to keep small.

Equally, there will be many other speakers in this price range that will work fine technically with the Classik that others can suggest

SteveC, Feb 7, 2006
  3. wicksy111

Tenson Moderator

It isn't bad.

For a little more money you can do a lot better if you want to though. It won't be as pretty however.

I always feel active speakers are a great way to go. Neat and compact as well.

Try this for size:

Speakers and Amps - Dynaudio BM6A £1,000 (these have their own amps, two per speaker in fact)

Pre-amp - Either a Chinese valve pre amp or even something like this Cyrus aCA7.5 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CYRUS-PRE-aCA...63459430QQcategoryZ122650QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem no more than £300 (find out from someone what the Cyrus is really worth)

CD Source -
    DAC - M-Audio Super DAC2496 £170
    Transport - Anything really £75

I'm not a turntable guy so I won't cover this part.

You could get the active speakers second hand I’m sure. There are lots about. Total for it all new (assuming £300 for a valve pre-amp) is less than £1600. It will truly kick arse.

Tenson, Feb 8, 2006
  4. wicksy111

RobHolt Moderator

The Linn Axis/Basik is fine but be aware that if it breaks down Linn won't now support it. A Rega Planar 3 would be a safer bet as Rega will still service any of their decks. The Rega isn't quite as good but is still a fine TT. Put a Denon DL110 on it (£70) and you have a fine source.

Good used speakers for a Classik would include the original Mission 760/780 (<£100), Linn Index II or perhaps the smaller Heybrook speakers - all come up on ebay fairly frequently.

You should be able to source a Planar 3/Denon 110/Mission 760 for about £300 total.

RobHolt, Feb 8, 2006
  5. wicksy111

jtc

We have a Classik as a second system, and we have it connected to Royd Doublet speakers. These same Royds are capable of more, but they are quite decent sounding with the Classik. I paid around £200 for my pair, but that was exceptional. Maybe £250 is more realistic.

jtc, Feb 8, 2006
  6. wicksy111

themystical

How about Linn Kans

Shameless plug!
    In my bedroom system, I use Linn Kans Mk4 (maple) with my klassic and these match quite well. However the system doesn't perform to the same standard as my "main".....read megaexpensive/megabig sytem so I am getting some headphones (AKG K1000's) which connect directly to the speaker terminals of the klassic. I would probably be happy to let the Kans go for £150 + postage if you are interested.

themystical, Feb 8, 2006
  7. wicksy111

zanash

Don't foget the little quads capable of fine sound. I agree with the other coments Rega TT would be a much better than the axis [never one of my favs]

zanash, Feb 8, 2006
  8. wicksy111

johnfromnorwich Tannerd.

I'd go for the 780 over the 760. I've seen several sets of Mission (Cyrus) 780 on ebay go for £50 ish. I have an old set which I normally use on the TV but last week, as an experiment, I ran the P3/Origin live RB300 through them, biamped. Really impressive for such a cheap small box - and despite being regularly and excessively hammered with Tackhead transients and Dub bass for about 10 years when I first bought them !

johnfromnorwich, Feb 8, 2006
  9. wicksy111

wicksy111

Thanks for all the input !

Points noted - the axis/basik idea has been quickly forgotten & a Rega 2/3 is now on my list :D Or even a pro-ject debut 3E

I don't need to go all out on the vinyl front as i have lots more Cd's than lp's but enjoy the relaxing to the clicks & pops ;)

On the speaker end of things , i like the look of s/h Quad 11L but am unsure of their capability to rock....thats my main criteria , they have to be able to rock! \m/ Oh and btw i forgot to mention that they must be standmounts - floorstanders are just more furniture to trip over .....im afraid im not keen on the look of mission speakers , just not my kinda thing - all of the speakers i like the look of appear not to handle rock too well (castle , quad etc..)

speaking of which , any opinions on castle speakers in general ?

but so far narrowed down to Linn Katan & 11L (they look so nice i just cant cross them off!)

Thanks again , James.

wicksy111, Feb 8, 2006
  10. wicksy111

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

wicksy, IMO the ability to rock is largely down to their ability to provide plenty of bass.

For that you will need a large bass driver, and an easy load - because the classic isn't a powerhouse.

If your room is of reasonable size (e.g. 15 feet + ) then I would reccomend a speaker of the type reccomended above.

Keeping it Linn: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linn-Keilidh-...863811710QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem (ignore the reserve, I'd expect this to go sub £300)

the kind of thing I'd buy: (price likely to go out of budget however)
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TANNOY-ALBURY...863283594QQcategoryZ14993QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

anyway you get the idea.

Ruark Talisman II
    Tannoy Dual concentric
    Linn Keleigh

etc.

Converse to what many people might think, large speakers tare often easier for an amplifier to drive than small speakers. It's a generalistion, but it holds water.

bottleneck, Feb 8, 2006
  11. wicksy111

Tenson Moderator

Not meaning to put down peoples suggestions but the system I recommended above will sound a lot better than the linn with £300 speakers. All in all it would cost about the same but you get far FAR better speakers and amps with a damn decent pre and source.

Tenson, Feb 8, 2006
  12. wicksy111

wicksy111

you are completely correct tenson but im only on £200 a week so would be buying a s/h linn....

unless i could find what you suggested s/h ? :D

wicksy111, Feb 8, 2006
  13. wicksy111

rp3

Don't worry about rockiness (?), my 11Ls are fine with all sorts of music.

You must hear them first, but I think they're very good. And a beautiful lacquer finish!

rp3, Feb 8, 2006
  14. wicksy111

Tenson Moderator

Of course you can buy it second hand! :)

There is a NOS DAC in the private adds section right now for example.

The Ming Da MC7-R valve pre-amp is £299 direct from Icon Audio. I had one of these up to a month ago playing in to some PMC AML1's and it did not disappoint. There are some of these and others around second hand keep looking at eBay.

CD Transport look on eBay for anything you like the look of. The Pioneer stable-platter range are good transports and about £50.

Lastly the Dynaudio BM6A are often around as they are so popular. Keep an eye on eBay, but also the Sound on Sound website. You could place a wanted advert. Best way to get them in my opinion is Ex-Demo.

There are some here - http://www.proaudioeurope.com/london/lists/used_full.htm

also try a call to HHB as they sometimes have ex-demo or B-Stock.

and the BM5A here - http://dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/shop/shop.cfm?type=st

You would be best off saving up and buying my AML1’s from me though ;)

Tenson, Feb 8, 2006
  15. wicksy111

wicksy, I feel your solution depends on what you want.

If you want one simple good looking box that sounds great get a second hand classic, they kick about for around £450.

A couple of hundred on a decent pair of speakers (don't forget to budget for stands if you buy standmounts) and you'll be laughing.

Sure, diligently buying carefully selected components may give you something you prefer the sound of. It wont be as visually indiscreet, and won't necessarily sound better - that will depend on the components you buy and how much you like them.

If you haven't bought the classic yet and are looking for a complete solution for circa £700 (or whatever budget) you may want to start a new thread - you'd certainly have different reccomendations!

bottleneck, Feb 8, 2006
  16. wicksy111

lordsummit moderate mod

I've not heard it but the Arcam Solo reputedly is better than the Classic, are you looking for a second hand classic? if so it would be out of the question as it's very new, alternatively for about £500 you could get some quite nice separates, think Nad, Marantz, Arcam you'll definitely get you on the ladder then some speakers you'll be fine. The Linn sound is an acquired taste, modern Linn doesn't do it for me, actually for that money you could get a real giant slaying system, you could get one of Avondale Audio's modded AAA5's going for about £375 (£350 if you bargain) then something like a Nait 1 with some Rega Kytes. That system would rock something shocking!

lordsummit, Feb 8, 2006
  17. wicksy111

Stereo Mic

Tenson,

Have you listened to a Classik with a good pair of speakers like Dynaudio 52's?

It will surprise you - genuinely. If matched with sypathetic loudspeakers, properly supported, and with better cabling than the supplied Linn stuff, the Classik is a very good buy that IME easily holds it's own with seperates at the same price and above.

Stereo Mic, Feb 8, 2006
  18. wicksy111

bottleneck, Feb 8, 2006
  19. wicksy111

Tenson Moderator

I heard the Linn with a pair of Stax and I wasn't very impressed. Have you heard the BM6A's? They might surprise you too! I feel Bi-amping with a lot more power and active crossovers as well would give the Dynaudio active a strong advantage. With a valve preamp they would sound lovely.

Tenson, Feb 8, 2006
  20. wicksy111

Stereo Mic

We use BM6A's in a studio I frequent, the Air 6 and 15 as well. They are OK, but IMO lack subtlety.

Stereo Mic, Feb 8, 2006
Ask a Question