speaker suggestions for a Linn Classik....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wicksy111, Feb 7, 2006.

1. wicksy111

Tenson Moderator

I don't think they do if used with nice components. The valve pre amp should help that a lot. They have just as much subtlety as the Quad 11L, which just didn't make my feet tap.

Tenson, Feb 8, 2006
  2. wicksy111

Stereo Mic

All I will say is that I have used Air 15's at home and compared them on the end of a Tact system with both Merlin and Proac alternatives.

Both of them showed a more sophisticated midrange and greater palpability.

The Dynaudio 52 is effectively a BM6 with (importantly) a more up to date version of the esotec tweeter.

So I wouldn't just judge the BM6A when fed from a desk as a nearfield, I have tried similar at home.

Stereo Mic, Feb 8, 2006
  3. wicksy111

jtc

I have to say that if sound quality is your priority, you will probably not be satisfied with the Classik. I have one (as I mentioned above) but it's not really audiophile in any way, shape or form. Qualitatively, it's sort of 'Arcam' level. Not bad, but given its full rrp it's by no means the best sound one can get from a budget of £1000ish for cdp+amp.

That said, it is all-in-one, works well all round, good design, runs fairly cool, drives most normal speaker loads and has some nice features (such as the fading mute and the timer functionality). Also, current models provide multiroom capability, though I doubt many people use this feature.

I like our Classik but a £200 Naim Nait 2 coupled to a £200 Marantz CD player will leave it in the dust. Comprehensively. I know as I've a Nait2/Marantz DR6000 setup in my studio/office, and it is streets ahead of the Classik, but no remote and takes up more space.

One curious thing about the Classik is the powered socket on the back - you can get it to turn on a low powered lamp when the timer fires - not used in my case, but perhaps to someone that could be the deal-maker...

John

jtc, Feb 9, 2006
  4. wicksy111

wicksy111

Yes sound quality is a priority.....

lookslike seperates are the only way :D

May i ask opinions on these sony seperates ?

Sony cdp-xb930

&

sony ta-fb930

im on a very tight budget as im not stretching for the linn now

Wants/Likes :

Mostly listen to rock (from floyd to metallica) but also enjoy relaxing to female vocals.....
    I'm not bothered where it was made or anything like that (chinas fine with me)
    s/h is fine
    i used to own a tube amp and although underpowered sounded decent so im open to tranny & tube
    Looks arent everything but help !
    not too bothered about a remote

Dislikes :
    I dont like Marantz (sorry but its true!) ive heard 63ki & cd5000 and liked neither....

Not a fan of floorstanders so would deffo prefer standmounts
    Im not a believer a cables so these dont have to be included into the budget - i'll just use mains cable for speakers & diy ic's

I need , amp , cd player & speakers.....i know this is scraping the barrel but if not going for the linn im only going to spend £300 or there abouts.....

Thanks for all the advice so far , i think you stopped me buying a lemon :eek:

James.

PS . i cannot demo so will be buying blind + my room is 10ft x 10ft

wicksy111, Feb 9, 2006
  5. wicksy111

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

£300? thats a whole new budget.

Firstly, I'd suggest reading the following thread:

https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=8982&highlight=spendor

We get a lot of questions about what first system you can put together for a given budget, and this thread was designed a) for fun and b) to give new hifi nuts with a limited budget something to go on.

I would *(for the benefit of hifi nuts at large) like to point out the following amp that I've seen used for £250.

[​IMG]
    http://www.steveshifi.co.uk/used-hifi-amplifiers-1.html

This is a fantastic giant slayer of an amp.

I would partner it with some EPOS ES14 from Ebay, there are a pair on there now.

I would add a budget CD player, perhaps a sony.

The combined price of those particular seperates will come in about £500. Apologies for reccomendations at that price point, but I couldnt put together a system I'd enjoy listening to for £300, there would be too many compromises.

If you insist on staying at £300, I'd reccomend a rotel amp, they are among the best for under £100 IMO.

I'd also take my comments about rock needing larger speakers to heart. If you won't take floorstanders, at least look at a bookshelf with decent sized bass units. Rock music ROCKS not rocks, and you wont get that affect with a tiddler.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Feb 9, 2006
  6. wicksy111

wicksy111

Haha ! yeah i know i was gonna borrow the cash and buy hifi instead of driving lessons :eek:

Okay i'll look around for standmounts with large bass drivers (damn those yammy ns1000's are a little expensive!)

thanks for the help though !

James.

wicksy111, Feb 9, 2006
  7. wicksy111

Dev Moderator

Should we make that thread a sticky?

Dev, Feb 9, 2006
  8. wicksy111

Stereo Mic

JTC,

I'd like to see that comparsion done blind.

Stereo Mic, Feb 9, 2006
  9. wicksy111

wicksy111

tenson ygpm

wicksy111, Feb 9, 2006
  10. wicksy111

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Ive got to admit its one of my favourites, I think budget systems are relevant to everyone - for limited budgets or PC systems or kids systems or spare room systems etc..

bottleneck, Feb 9, 2006
Ask a Question