Speaker suggestions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by specialk, Jul 28, 2004.

1. specialk

specialk Luna-tic

Been hanging around listening for some time, now it's time to join in.

There is a good likelyhood that I will be changing speakers soon. I currently have Revel Studios but they are just physically too big since we moved house. Looking for something that will be as good or better but less intrusive, ideally a monitor/sub combo. I can find home for the sub okay - swmbo has agreed.

My (very) shortlist is Sonus Faber Guarneri plus a sub of some kind (REL Studio ?)

Any suggestions ?

Rest of the system
    LP12/Ekos/Lyra Helikon
    Levinson 39

Levinson 25s phono
    Levinson 380S pre
    Levinson 336 power

FYI the Studios replaced my 1988 Linn Isobariks so speaker change is not something I enter into lightly !

specialk, Jul 28, 2004
  2. specialk

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Shahinians - Obelisks: small floorstanders that sound much bigger than they are
    http://www.shahinianacoustics.com/Obelisk.htm

or a pair of Hawks which are sort of a sub sat combo ;->.
    http://www.shahinianacoustics.com/HawkEnsemble.htm

Although they are American speakers they are easier to find in the UK. I know several others who have changed from Briks to Shahinians, both have that room filling ability lacking in many other speakers. They also work surprisingly well in smaller rooms and even relatively close to walls. Your ML gear should drive them well as well but finding a dealer that does ML and Shahinians could be tricky so a home dem will be your best bet.

Cheers

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2004
    ReJoyce, Jul 28, 2004
  3. specialk

joel Shaman of Signals

Check out the Harbeth SH5s. I can't guarantee you'll like them (especially after Revels), but they are worth a try - and if they do work for you, you'll have a hard time going back to something else.
    You don't seem to be short of cash for this project, so take a listen to the Westlake towers and report back (please - I've heard these a couple of time and not been overly impressed, but I'd like another opinion, as the big Westlakes are awesome beasts).

joel, Jul 28, 2004
  4. specialk

dominicT former member

I would second the Shahinians, they are brilliant. I wanted them for my place - suspended floor and 15" x 24" but they put out too much bass so I went for SF Amator IIs, which were different but just as good. I found them both to be musical, great on detail and not too bright. B&W etc had less detail and were brighter - go figure. Grahams do Shahinians and have lots of experience with them. They will do home demo but normally pick up on Saturday and return Monday morning; this may have changed since I last did this two years ago though. Dominic

dominicT, Jul 28, 2004
  5. specialk

lordsummit moderate mod

First welcome. You may get more than you bargained for suggesting that particular conversation. If you can be bothered have a look at the REL Quake thread ;)

I'm a paid up member of the Meadowlark mafia. Would be well worth your while looking out for something by them. They're not easy to find second-hand, but there are sometimes pairs hanging around.

Have a scout around this website

They make very fine sounding speakers using transmission lines and 1st order crossovers. Very fine sounding indeed.

lordsummit, Jul 28, 2004
  6. specialk

julian2002 Muper Soderator

why not have a look at the little revel speakers (m20's ?) or some of the smaller jmlabs utopias?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jul 28, 2004
  7. specialk

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

ReJoyce, Jul 28, 2004
Ask a Question