Speaker switches (bad idea??)

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dos, Jul 12, 2008.

1. dos

dos

Have just upgraded from a rotel amp to a densen.

However, i used to run a 2nd pair of speakers for the kitchen from the rotel (the rotel had speaker a a/b switch and double speaker inputs) through a hole I drilled in the wall!!:rolleyes:

What choices do I have to run 2 speakers from the densen (beat b100) and can anybody recommend a switching box, or should I get a seperate cheap system for the kitchen?

dos, Jul 12, 2008
  2. dos

Tenson Moderator

I bought a speaker source switch box from Maplin and it works fine. Its made for connecting two amps to one pair of speakers but obviously it can work in reverse.

Nasty screw clamp terminals on the back though... and I'm not talking about binding posts.

Tenson, Jul 12, 2008
  3. dos

dos

is it going to degrade the signal much....or am i being anal??

dos, Jul 12, 2008
  4. dos

lbr monkey boy

http://www.hifileads.co.uk/website/access/qed-ss22.htm

QED do a speaker switch unit that might be worth looking at - see above url. Personally though, I'd have a boom box in the kitchen to ensure the best possible signal quality on the main speakers - having an additional set of connections can't improve sound quality. I am anal about such things though :)

lbr, Jul 12, 2008
  5. dos

RobHolt Moderator

Anal.

Nothing wrong with a good high current switch or relay in the signal path. You can't hear it.
    The contact resistance will be infinitesimally small compared to the speaker cables and amps output impedance.

RobHolt, Jul 12, 2008
  6. dos

hifinutt

i used the qed speaker box for many years ,I still have it and you can have it if you wish

hifinutt, Jul 13, 2008
Ask a Question