'Speaker thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Anex, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Anex

Anex Thermionic

I'm wanting to move up the ladder in the next couple of months. Looking to spend £1.5k max probably. I'm looking for easier to drive and more low end. I think I maybe a Sonus Faber addict :rolleyes: . Went to borrow some Concert Grands yesterday but the last pair had just been sold so need to wait for those. Atm I have a pair of Living Voice Avatars on (used). I'm not sure about them, theres more detail there and more low but they don't funk like the sonus and they're not making me run the rack ripping out LPs left right and centre so they're not really motivating me to pay the asking price (this reads worryingly like an LP12 user). I'll miss them when I take them off in some ways but the sonus sound more musical to me.
    Anyone have any suggestions? New or used. Sensitivity of 91dB minimum, good all rounders please but I think being musical is probably my primary concern. Still on the look out for concerts but need to be able to borrow them before buying.

Cheers

Anex, Aug 7, 2005
  2. Anex

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Have you a job now then? Sorry for being off topic.

amazingtrade, Aug 7, 2005
  3. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Yeah I work for the British Heart Foundation in London

Anex, Aug 7, 2005
  4. Anex

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

5. Anex

SCIDB Moderator

SCIDB, Aug 7, 2005
  6. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Yeah cheers bottleneck ;) Not quite sure I have the space for those tho :D

Does anyone know anything about the Russ stuff? All I've heard about the kit is bad news but haven't heard anything at all about the speakers. Generally I've found all his stuff is does what it says on the tin but the tin seems to cost 10x as much as everyone elses tins. Would like to hear them but I also don't like the way you have to pay for them first then decide if you like them. Maybe I should take a trip up there.

Anex, Aug 7, 2005
  7. Anex

space must be made! put the wife in the garage and the dog in the shed :D

seriously, Id ignore my advice on this anyway, as I dont like the sonus fabers Ive heard, but do like living voices, so we have different preferences in the speaker department :)

michaelab and cjross are sonus fans. cjross posts more on wigwam and choice these days.

I havent heard the quaves. The prices on them dropped a lot from his initial asking price though, which was about 2.5k? They look quite promising for £1500.

bottleneck, Aug 7, 2005
  8. Anex

Anex Thermionic

I like the voices but not enough to pay for them. I can't help thinking I'm not getting everything from them for some reason but can't figure out why not. They have more detail and bass, like I said, but not so much that its breathtakingly different and considering the Sonus I have now were only £600 new that doesn't seem right. But the biggest problem is they just don't bring a tear to my eye in the way the sonus do, they seem to loose out on some of the emotion which lets me forgive the sonus of any short comings (mainly in detail, the bass is incredible for the cab size).
    I suppose the other problem I have with them is they're just a veneered box and I don't really like the idea of forking out that kind of cash for them.

Anex, Aug 7, 2005
  9. Anex

Dev Moderator

Dev, Aug 7, 2005
  10. Anex

were you thinking instead of some electrostatics, ribbons or horns then?

bottleneck, Aug 7, 2005
  11. Anex

Cloth-Ears

I'm also in the £1500 range for speakers for my Exposure 23 and 28 amps.

Can anyone compare and contrast the following:

- Dynaudio 72se
    - Audiovector Mi 3 Super
    - Ruark Talisman 3
    - ART Stilletto 6
    - PMC FB1 +
    - B&W 704
    - Rega R7

No order of preference is implied there.

Room is 14.5 by 11.5 , firing across the shorter, with 8 ft listening distance, plenty of space around speakers. I know floorstanders work because I bought cheap AE speakers to try it.

I know I'll get words said about the ARTs but can people compare and contrast the others too, if not against the ARTs against one another, or give me an impression of character.
    In my town, only 3 or 4 of the above will be available to audition and then there is no overlap between dealers, so its very hard to compare !

If only I could magically "know" what I'd be happiest with. Or, if I was a multimillionaire I could buy everything that intrigued me and experiment, then throw the losers off a cliff for fun.

Cloth-Ears, Aug 7, 2005
  12. Anex

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Cloth-Ears, you need my Castles and a sub :)

More sound per pound than FB1's :D

Actually I could give similar advice to Anex. If you want more groove and more depth, get a lively standmount and a sub ;)

technobear, Aug 7, 2005
  13. Anex

Cloth-Ears

I did think about your Conways. It would save me a hell of a lot of cash ! But ultimately I think I ought to go for a long term choice that will do justice to my amps.I am suspicious of being able to set a sub right. I suspect the Stillettos would give me the "groove" as you put it of a standmount, according to what I have read here and on hifiwigwam.

Cloth-Ears, Aug 7, 2005
  14. Anex

merlin

Too late.

BTW Cloth Ears, you should definately add Proac Studio 130's to your list, as well as a used pair of Vandersteen 2CE or 3a sigs. The Vandersteens sound great with Exposure and are readily available from Audiogon for a song.

merlin, Aug 7, 2005
  15. Anex

Cloth-Ears

Oh yes I forgot, Proac. I was thinking of the D15.

I thought about Vandersteen too. They are imported by Exposure after all. But I was concerned by their reported rolled off treble plus the amps reported rolled off treble too, plus I wondered if the bass would be bloated in my room.

Thanks though, and are you able to negate that?

Cloth-Ears, Aug 7, 2005
  16. Anex

Anex Thermionic

Not stats I don't have the space for them but other than that I'm open to any suggestions really as long as the horns don't involve Lowther.

Anex, Aug 7, 2005
  17. Anex

merlin

D15 very civilised and uncoloured. Studio 130 full of life and vigour - more exciting but more coloured in the mids.

Vandersteens are east coast in their presentation, slightly laid back. The Exposures make up for that. Don't know about the room though, maybe try a simulation. The bottom end on the Vandersteens is tighter than most, using an ABR ratther than the traditional port.

Of the others, Dyns are good all rounders, the Audiovectors are really a bit pipe and slippers for me. B&W sounds mechanical to my ears. Never heard a PMC or ART loudspeaker that lived up to the internet hype but of course YMMV. Not heard the Regas but the Ruarks are nicely made and inoffensive.

merlin, Aug 7, 2005
  18. Anex

Cloth-Ears

Thanks, that's interesting. Are you a dealer that you have this knowledge?

Cloth-Ears, Aug 8, 2005
Ask a Question