Speaker Wobble good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by denney10, May 4, 2006.

1. denney10

denney10

Hi

A simple question. I have been using my floorstanders with RDC cone cups under each carpet spike. The floor is carpeted and the speakers are level but wobble front to back and side to side if touched.
    They feel solid but I am wondering whether this wobble is actually not such a good idea. I think I read somewhere that it is not good for speakers to move at volume as this can mess with the sound.
    I am not using the RDC cups to stop damage to the carpet so will get rid if the general feeling is that the speakers should have as good an anchor to the floor as possible.
    Thanks for any thoughts.

denney10, May 4, 2006
  2. denney10

Dr Rock

AFAIK speakers should be as rigid as possible to get the best sound. If you don't want to use spikes through the carpet, try a paving slab under each speaker...

Cheers,

Fraser

Dr Rock, May 4, 2006
  3. denney10

dean.l

wobble is a bad thing, but try with the spikes and see if you can tell the difference, if not don't worry, or use paving slabs as advised, i'd get sharper spikes, mine have pretty heavy speakers on them and leave no damage to the carpet, less than a paving slab would do anyway.

*edit* I missed out the "not" bit about damaging the carpet, :) i'd just try the spikes and see if you can tell the difference.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2006
    dean.l, May 4, 2006
Ask a Question