Speakers for a valve amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by el spanner, Nov 20, 2005.

1. el spanner

el spanner tut

I need new speakers for my Audio Note Oto SE amp which is 12 Watts per channel and the room is approx 12 foot square. Has anyone got any experience of the DIY IPL Acoustic speakers or can recommend something else that will go well with the amp.

Thanks

el spanner, Nov 20, 2005
  2. el spanner

Dik Dolan

I have IPL s3 speakers that I use in a room only a little larger than yours, powered by a Monarchy Audio sm 70 (which is 20 watts or so class A transistor). I have no problems with lack of power, but I dont need head banging levels..in fact I am giving serious thought to getting a SE valve amp kit.
    I love my IPL speakers they have great bass, clear open mids and glorious ribbon tweeter. They are around 89db sensitivity, with a smooth easy impedence curve.
    I see that IPL now do a higher efficiency kit but I havent heard that, or an Oto SE, so I can't give you a full answer.

Dik Dolan, Nov 20, 2005
  3. el spanner

zanash

I've used 89db electrostatic speakers with the 6 usable watts provided by sonic T amps not to head banging levels but to loud domestic levels. That said you should be looking to a horn type speaker or similar to natural and neutral sounds from the se valve kit.

zanash, Nov 20, 2005
  4. el spanner

jtc

Zanash pretty much hits it on the head - 6w will provide a surprising amount of volume from most modern speakers, but it's still only 6w. I'm running an 8w push-pull amp into 89dB/4ohm(3.5ohm min) Audiophysic Avanti IIIs and 8w seems to be plenty - it is surprising how most of regular listening is in the first couple of watts. Certainly in my room (18'x16'x10' or thereabouts) I can get more than sufficient volumes (i.e. beyond comfortable levels) with my amp:speaker combo.

jtc, Nov 20, 2005
  5. el spanner

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

why dont you look at audio note speakers?

they are available as a kit from www.hificollective.co.uk or you can buy them built up.

they would be a nice match for your amp.

bottleneck, Nov 21, 2005
Ask a Question