speakers for rega gear

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by dubman23, May 9, 2012.

1. dubman23

dubman23

Hi I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers,which are Castle Chester's,floorstanding TLines and have them biamped with a Rega Mira 3/Maia 3 combination .Rega Saturn CDP and Caiman Gatorised DAC complete the digital side of things.Has anyone tried Neat or Totem speakers ?I know I should check out Rega,s own but I think the side firing cones may cause problems in my room set up.Room is about 8x5m and I'm only looking for floorstanders with a decent bass response as dub is a must.Thanks for any replies...

dubman23, May 9, 2012
  2. dubman23

RobHolt Moderator

The Rega electronics are not unusual enough to dictate your choice of loudspeaker from a sonic point of view - the electronics will impart little if any character. Your room is quite large so probably best sticking with med-high sensitivity models as the Rega isn't a massively powerful amplifier - certainly if you like to listen at high SPLs.

So long as you aren't pushing the loudspeakers close to side walls (not a good idea) then side firing woofers won't be an issue.

I've heard most of the smaller Rega models and like them, but try to hear the R7 which would suit a larger room.

I've yet to hear a Totem model that I like, but Neat produce some good kit.

RobHolt, May 9, 2012
  3. dubman23

dubman23

Cheers,the RS 7 would be interesting but a bit out of my price range,the RS5 and 3 models seem to be had at a bargain so I may demo some.I think a home demo is the key here ,as ever,thanks for your input,Mark.

dubman23, May 12, 2012
  4. dubman23

Deaf Cat

Slightly different view from here, was not too keen on Neat speakers but loved the rega and Totem sound, mind you as mentioned above the Totems are generally quite power hungery. Would have thought bi-amping would have been ok, I heard the Totems with Exons.

I still have my old Dittons :)

Have some R1's for the TV, nice clear top end punchey, lack a bit of bass compared to the floorstanging dittons, still have not heard any of the floor standing Rega's :eek:

Deaf Cat, Jun 9, 2012
  5. dubman23

vincula

I've got a pair of Rega RS5's associated to an evergreen Creek CAS 4040 and they sing and swing. Have had them with valves too. They're very versatile, easy-to-place and good all-round speakers. A bargain at the asked price, ihmo.

Regards,

Vincula

vincula, Jun 23, 2012
Ask a Question