speakers for Sugden A21a

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by peez, Apr 9, 2007.

1. peez

peez

Dear all,
    My system ccomprisess a Micromega stage 4 CD, Technics SL12 tt with O/L modded Rega & Sumiko Blue point 2, Sugden A21a and B&W cdms se's.
    Thing is I have a sneakey feeling I could get better sound from different speakers (apart from cd upgrades which I will tackle later).
    They image well but I am not totally satisfied with the sound, I like detail in spades but not harshness, I like imaging and I like tonal colour , ie richness in piano etc.

I was considering demming the Duevel Planets as they look interesting and have good reviews, like the idea of Stirling LS3's etc but wanted to ask you guys for advice on recommended partnerships prior to arranging things for dem, am not wealthy, poor infact but ...where theres a will theres a way.

Cheers
    p

peez, Apr 9, 2007
  2. peez

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

I have recently acquired a Monarchy SM70, which is similar to the A21 in that it's a ~20W class A solid-state amp.

I've found that it works very nicely with my Meadowlark speakers, as they present a very easy impedance load and offer reasonable sensitivity, assuming your room to be smaller than a concert hall. Depending on budget look for Kestrel Hotrod, Kestrel 2 or Swift models.

I can't comment on the Stirlings, but I did hear the Duevel Planets at manchester. They were interesting, and I expected the asking price to be higher than it is. However, the demo was somewhat marred by the left and right channels being reversed, and no one else in the preceding two days of the show had apparently noticed this (we pointed it out, they checked and we were right).

I-S, Apr 9, 2007
  3. peez

dreftar

I have a pair of Monarchy Audio SM 70 Pros and have been using them with ELAC 310 i's . I am about trading up to a pair of Quad ESL 63s. I believe that the Class A amps like the Sugden do well into most speakers. Perhaps they do best into the speakers that are popular with the "Valve (Tube)" enthusiasts. I would like to hear a Class A amp like yours on a full frequency single driver speaker. Unfortunately where I live means that have no opportunity to hear other HiFi components.

dreftar, Apr 9, 2007
  4. peez

peez

Thanks for those suggestions, I will check out both the Elac and Meadowlarks. I'm amazed by the channels being reversed at the show, even more of a worry that they didn't notice for so long. I like to hear m y a21 on a full freq single driver too, I just think the B&W cdm2 (forgot earlier) se are limiting it, I earthed em to see if that might help , it did but they still don't sound right. so much of it is integrating the things, system balance etc.

peez, Apr 9, 2007
  5. peez

anubisgrau

i've heard this amp playing wonders with vienna acoustic grand mozart - the music wasn't my cup of tea (light jazz, piano etc) but sure it goes into direction of your preferences. not sure about the availability in the UK but if you can, you should try the combo for sure.

anubisgrau, Apr 9, 2007
  6. peez

ianb

How about Harbeth Compact 7s? They sound like what you're after and I've heard that they work very well with the Sugden.

Ian

ianb, Apr 10, 2007
  7. peez

JCL

Yeah I agree, the Harbeth's would probably be great. People also say Living Voice have great synergy with the A21 also.

JCL, Apr 10, 2007
  8. peez

Garmt

Definitely Living Voice Auditorium or Avatar.

Garmt, Apr 10, 2007
  9. peez

Except that the LVs are 2-3 times the apparent budget...

I-S, Apr 10, 2007
  10. peez

Garmt

The budget was not given if I am correct. A second-hand Auditorium will not cost the earth.

Garmt, Apr 10, 2007
  11. peez

la toilette Downright stupid

I loved the sound of my A21a with the big old DC Tannoys (12" HPD Cheviots) I had at the time......:) Cracking combination.

la toilette, Apr 10, 2007
  12. peez

Budget wasn't explicitly stated, but the Duevels are £800 and the LS3/5s are £890. Hence my use of the word "apparent".

I-S, Apr 10, 2007
  13. peez

Garmt

The budget could be stretched if needed, the TS told. I am just posing a possibility, relax!

Garmt, Apr 10, 2007
  14. peez

Graham B

What about Focal. Sugden seem to like them. I am looking for some small standmounts to match with my A21a and was thinking of the Focal 705 (budget is well below £1000)

Peez, whatever you dem make sure you get to listen to them at home. What size is your listening room

Graham B, Apr 10, 2007
  15. peez

peez

Hi,
    room dimensions are 18 x 30 (approx) with hi fi at one end, would load pics but file size too big for ZG - no way to reduce on my Mac.

Budget is around the £800 mark, it's actually less but it been less all year and i bought the Sugden , bought & built the TT etc, so thats why i said where theres a will etc.

really appreciate all the input guys.
    Much appreciated

peez, Apr 10, 2007
  16. peez

hifienthusiast

A few people in www.hifiwigwam.com use Proac Response 1sc with the A21a. These Proac are really superb speakers, you can usually find a used pair between £650 to 800.

hifienthusiast, Apr 10, 2007
  17. peez

Mark LJ

Currently using Spendor S6e's with my A21a. I tried both the 5e and the 6e and the 6's just swung it. Very enjoyable sound and I've heard of a few folk matching them. The 5e's are certainly within budget and ex-demo/2nd hand the 6e's aren't far away.

Mark LJ, Apr 12, 2007
  18. peez

audioaddict

I think the planets are a cracking little speaker,I too was in the orpheus room at the manchester showI think you are being a little pedantic.I'd imagine swapping speakers all weekend for Joe public takes its toll,and the odd mistake may creep in.I know keith to be an honest and very helpful chap.Can't say that about alot of dealers!

audioaddict, Oct 20, 2007
Ask a Question