Speakers I previously dismissed as too coloured...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Coda II, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Something like four years ago I bought a pair of Kefkit3s (same tweeter and mid as the LS3/5a and same bass as 'briks).

I used them with a couple of different Cyrus amps and also a TVC/Quad 909 and although I have a fondness for the sound of old Kefs I could never get away from what I perceived as marked cabinet colouration and a rather lackadaisical approach to detail.

I then got interested in the possibilities of ribbon tweeters; a pair of SD Acoustics arrived and the Kefs became my office speakers.

The SDs stayed about a year and, as a stop gap, the Kefs have moved back home. And they sound much, much better than I remember!

There have been other changes since they were last here. Power is now from Sugden, TVC has made way for LDR, the DAC has had an internal upgrade, the cartridge has changed - nothing major and in most cases sideways rather than up; it wasn't until I got the Kefs back in that I realised quite how marked the changes have been.

Am also thinking back to the Rogers LS7ts I had for a while (and liked) and wondering how they would sound on the end of the current set-up.

Coda II, Jan 7, 2010
  2. Coda II

dunkyboy

Synergy ftw! :)

dunkyboy, Jan 7, 2010
  3. Coda II

la toilette Downright stupid

Robert, can I humbly suggest that you keep an eye out for a pair of Rogers Studio 1's? I used a pair with an A21a and it was a fantastic combination, and having tried a pair of LS7t's not so long ago I honestly think the Studio 1's are a much superior beast whilst still being (recognisibly) from the same stable.

I've been playing around with a pair of LS5/9's also; I'm not in a position to make any claims about levels of colouration, but my gut feeling is that they add very little. Very detailed and great imaging, but in the end I prefer the colourful warmth and musicality of my big old Tannoys :D.

la toilette, Jan 8, 2010
  4. Coda II

Those are actually the lines I'm thinking along at present: a big BBC type 3 way, looking more to Spendor or Harbeth for now though.

Just Had a quick look at the Studio 1 and it uses the same Kef T27 as my current speakers.

Coda II, Jan 8, 2010
  5. Coda II

joel Shaman of Signals

Big Harb or Spendor 3-way *is* the way to go. Quite honestly no one has made a better overall speaker...

joel, Jan 8, 2010
  6. Coda II

So - SHL5, SP1 or SP100?

Coda II, Jan 8, 2010
  7. Coda II

joel Shaman of Signals

It's between the SP100 and M40... I wouldn't bother with the SHL5 or SP1 TBH.

joel, Jan 8, 2010
  8. Coda II

how did I know you were going to say that?

At that size S100s are more likely, SP100, SP100R, M40, M40.1 would all put severe strain on budgets.

Coda II, Jan 8, 2010
  9. Coda II

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

As ex owner Harbeth C7ES I suggest you the SHL5 , my friend Carlo uses with Pass Labs XA100 monoblocks , still a fantastic speaker

IMHO

Arlequen, Jan 8, 2010
  10. Coda II

joel Shaman of Signals

The big three-ways are where the real BBC action is. Always has been (think BCI, II, III). S100 would be superb. Just get them up on high stands...
    Wait for the right speaker to come along at the right price and don't be in too much of a hurry.

joel, Jan 9, 2010
  11. Coda II

hurry you say?

just had a look and I put a 'wanted' for S100s in the classifieds in July 2008

Coda II, Jan 9, 2010
  12. Coda II

joel Shaman of Signals

Ah, but you're not going to find many S100 owners looking to sell on here or on PFM I suspect...

joel, Jan 9, 2010
  13. Coda II

RobHolt Moderator

If you like the sound of big BBC inspired 3 ways you should also consider Quad ESLs.

Very similar voicing but with the following differences:

- Considerably less top and mid distortion - better than any moving coil speaker in fact and you hear this as stunning transparency.

- very directive at HF/MF which with careful placement really cuts down on room interaction and brings fantastic intimacy to a performance. Use ESLs in the near field, close your eyes and angels really will sing you to heaven :)

- No box so very clean LF and no overhang. However on the flip side things roll pretty quickly below about 60hz and the bigger BBC designs have advantages there.

- Limited SPLs - a big Harbeth or Spendor will play louder and cleaner if you need volume. You can mitigate this with a smaller room and a shorter listening distance. The older ESL especially works fine in small rooms contrary to much opinion.

- The load is capacitive and will upset some amps. However, most amplifiers will drive ESLs just fine. so long as they have good stability into capacitive loads. The much talked about 1 ohm loading at HF is of no concern and can usually be dismissed as it occurs up at around 17khz where power demands are very small due to very little program content. The nominal loading is actually 16 ohms. Don't use SETs or amplifiers with high output impedance or you'll get HF droop - do the math if you doubt this.

Just another option for you to consider.

RobHolt, Jan 9, 2010
  14. Coda II

Thanks Rob.

Having had both home and away fixtures with Martin he came up with the same suggestion. (great minds etc.)

Things giving me pause for thought:

presence of small children

size of room (8 x 4.5m) and the fact that I listen from a number of different points in the room - I need a solution that works well enough at different distances, heights and angles.

That said I'm sure I've seen a members' system, either here or the other place, with Quads in a large, galleried (US I think) space.

Coda II, Jan 9, 2010
  15. Coda II

On the other hand:

I could take a look at the antique shop (not a euphemism, it really is) where I got the Kefkits and notice they had a pair of speakers that I wanted to buy in the early 80s.

I'd saved up just under a hundred pounds from various odd jobs and wanted to buy a pair of speakers with the intention of running 30 ft of bell wire from my dad's system to my room.

The speakers I wanted were 150 quid though, which I didn't have and so bought my first pair of Kefs which were on budget and which I really liked and still have.

So anyway, many years later, hand over the cash and I now have what I wanted back then, and for a lot less money.

Coincidence that they also contain two of the drivers that are in the Kefkits?

Don't know, but first listen says they don't miss the B139 at all and after well over twenty years I finally have a pair of JR149s!

Coda II, Jan 16, 2010
Ask a Question