Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lordsummit, Nov 19, 2003.

1. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

As some of you may remember I moved house a few months ago and was less than happy with the sound of the system in the house. So I bought Cookies Rotel RCD-991 and this made a rather large improvement, but I have found myself missing the bass more and more from my litte Rega Kytes. Orchestral big bass drums have not quite enough oomph, and lots of rock seems to have lost some of it's bottom. funnily enough the Rotel has made me more aware of this. It's tightened it all up down there, and sort of hints at what there is to come.
    So to match with my Linn Intek I've been offer a pair of Kef Q35.2's for £180, this seems to be a fair price and just about all I've got to spend, so what do you reckon, will it be any solution, or am I barking up the wrong tree?
    Any thoughts will be welcome. Particularly from anyone who knows these speakers.

lordsummit, Nov 19, 2003
  2. lordsummit

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Hyperfi have the 35.2s advertised for £149.99! If they've got them in stock or not is a different matter though. They're also advertising the Q55 for £199.

I've heard the Q15 and Q35s and both were impressive. Front porte, decent all rounders, which though don't really "rock" they handle MOst things thrown at them, and had a decent enough low end. I nearly got the Q35s myself a while back.

Definitely worth an audition me thinks. And prices should be good with the newer ranges being out.

MO!, Nov 21, 2003
  3. lordsummit

Lt Cdr Data om

I had a pair of kytes, lovely lovely treble and mid, I don't think you can get much better.

Lt Cdr Data, Nov 21, 2003
  4. lordsummit

julian2002 Muper Soderator

keep your current speakers and see if you can afford an mj accoustics pro 50 sub. a superb little thing that will put some bass into your system in a tuneful manner.

cheers

julian

julian2002, Nov 21, 2003
  5. lordsummit

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Whatever the RCD-991's other failings, it is very good at extracting deep bass information, without being overblown. No, it won't scare one of WM's wadias, but it certainly showed my old CD-63 the way that things are.

However, the problem with a source that can do this is that you're going to have this feeling of missing info until you get onto some quite serious speakers. My DM602s couldn't go as deep as the '991 could, and the kestrels, although a good deal deeper, still don't get as far down as I get the feeling that there is some information... the only speakers I've heard do it are WM's shearwaters and John Cheadle's Apogee Duettas.

Thus Julian's recommendation may not be far off, but then you're into the whole world of sub integration... In the light of Data's comments, it might be a strong combo though.

I-S, Nov 21, 2003
  6. lordsummit

lordsummit moderate mod

Yes that was my other thought too. Have decided to give them a go, but if I don't like them I'll put them on Ebay, I won't lose anything. The Kytes are gorgeous, and I might keep them and try them with a sub possibly, but they are in a rather large room %m by 5m with a staircase at one end, so really they're fighting a losing battle. Woud agree though that the mid and treble is impossible to beat at the price. They do a not bad impression of bass as well, but you know what it's like. Basically I'm going to keep the one's I prefer.

lordsummit, Nov 21, 2003
Ask a Question