Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ellisonwales, Jan 22, 2006.

1. ellisonwales

ellisonwales

Last week i had the inclination to try my MA B2 speakers (that i used upstairs) ,together with some epos m12.2s downstairs.The 4 speakers are all wall mounted with the MAs positioned above the epos and about 4 in behind.The sound (through a marantz pm7200)is suprisingly very good and much improved (especially bass wise) when used together with the b2s.This leaves me with the dilemma of what speakers to get for upstairs.I use a nad c320bee and marantz cd6000 ose ,but usually just use the tv through the amp ,rather than listen to cds.I have wall mounts upstairs so want a pair of book shelf speakers that are not very big in size or weight (the b2s were a little big and heavy really...for the wall brackets used).So can anyone suggest a smallish ,light pair of bookshelf speakers ,that will sound decent for tv listening and the occasional cd ,for around £80?.Old or new models are not a problem.
    tia
    ew

ellisonwales, Jan 22, 2006
  2. ellisonwales

Tenson Moderator

Are you saying you are using both pairs of speakers at the same time? I think you may find the sound more impressive at first but on critical listening you may find details and timbre are messed up. Especially imaging.

Have you toyed with a sub? REL Quake perhaps? It is a bit sad to have something as good as the Epos M12.2 on a wall bracket…

Tenson, Jan 22, 2006
  3. ellisonwales

lordsummit moderate mod

Rega Kytes. Front ported, lovely sound, and you won't get swamped by bass

lordsummit, Jan 22, 2006
  4. ellisonwales

ellisonwales

Hello ...
    Yes im using both pairs of speakers.I have used them for many months individually on the same system (at one time or another)...and yes the overall sound is better (even on critical listening) .Maybe i just got lucky with the positioning.I did feel a bit sad putting screws into the bottom of the epos (and the b2s for that matter)...however i have used stands in the past but prefer the sound and positioning of wall mounted speakers.The b2s do tend to give a bassier sub effect ,possibly because of the front mounted bass port.When i get a spare minute ill post a pic of positioning.All i can say is it works for me.
    ew

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2006
  5. ellisonwales

ellisonwales

Ive heard good things about these.Would you happen to have a link to show specs tc?
    tia
    ew

6. ellisonwales

njc743

not the most 'typical' of arrangements for speakers but if you are pleased with what they sound and look like then stick with it.
    sorry but i dont have any small speaker ideas at mo
    neil

njc743, Jan 22, 2006
  7. ellisonwales

ellisonwales

Its hard to see from the pic but the top b2s are set back 9to the wall) a few inches from the bottom epos ,and both are tilted at an optimum angle to where my sitting position is which is about 8 and a 1/2 feet in front.Originally i used the b2s ,but then "upgraded" to the epos.These opened up a whole new listening experience or "critical listening" in detail etc.However I wanted something a little more bassy ,without having to buy bigger or floorstanding speakers.The b2s have fitted in well and i dont hear any deteriotion in the epos detail,but i do hear extra bass punch which is what i wanted.Also the b2s were rather wasted upstairs so they are being put to good use...so to speak.Hence my inquiry for cheap ,but decent speakers that will go well with the nad amp.
    ew

8. ellisonwales

lordsummit moderate mod

Can't find any specs, but I have found a nice picture which is making me go all dewey eyed,
    [​IMG]
    They're easy enough to drive, they have on of the most persuasive mid-bands you'll hear of any cheap speaker, and they look good too. What more do you want?

lordsummit, Jan 22, 2006
Ask a Question