Speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Jimbo, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Jimbo, Jul 8, 2007
  2. Jimbo

Tenson Moderator

I have seen them a few times but not got around to hearing them, which I had been meaning to do a few times! lol. Interesting styling.

Tenson, Jul 8, 2007
  3. Jimbo

Jimbo

I may just give these a dem and let you know. Yes not sure about the cloth trim. Jim.

Jimbo, Jul 8, 2007
  4. Jimbo

Tenson Moderator

I can tell you now that Sounds of Music have them in stock as that is where I have seen them :)

Tenson, Jul 8, 2007
  5. Jimbo

Colin2040

A friend of mine uses them and I have to admit to liking them. Easy load and relatively small dimensions but seem to time really well and have reasonable bass weight as well.I am going to steal them to try with my SET amp soon.He uses them of single ended monoblocks producing about 18 watts aside and has no problem driving them. Ill check exactly which model they are if it helps but from memory he recently replaced I think Monopulse 32a with this model which has the super tweeter.

Colin2040, Jul 9, 2007
  6. Jimbo

Colin2040

He had the 32a which was a bit to bassy for his room and replaced them with the 32s which is just right, sounds like a fairy tale!?

Colin2040, Jul 9, 2007
  7. Jimbo

muzzer

There is a pair of 32a's on hififorsale.com half price.

muzzer, Jul 9, 2007
  8. Jimbo

hifi addict

Joe at Audioboffs just north of London has some in stock. I think its worth having a listen to them.

hifi addict, Jul 10, 2007
  9. Jimbo

Jimbo

Going to Zouch Audio at weekend to have a listen. Also they have Dali and some interesting Green Mountain standmounts, i think called the Callisto. Anyone heard these?

Thanks for the info, but London's a bit too far and looks like the ones on the net are gone. Jim.

Jimbo, Jul 12, 2007
  10. Jimbo

hifi addict

I know th Calisto very well. They are a great sounding loudspeaker. I don't like the look of them though. They look like King Kongs big toe.

You can try the Manger 109's depending on your amp. Very nice drive unit. I believe Tenson used them for a while.

hifi addict, Jul 12, 2007
  11. Jimbo

Jimbo

Well visited Zouch Audio today and spent a good 2 hours or more there. Mike who was just your ordinary chap and very easy to talk to was very helpful.
    First we tried some Dali's somewhere between £800 and £900 Which were ok. Nice and detailed and cant really think of anything else.

Then put on the Green Mountain Callisto's that looked like King Kongs big toe. It took two of them to get them of the shelf. If these fell on your toes you would know about it. Funnily enough my wife said they looked ok to her, whew. These i was looking forward to hearing. Certainly better than the Dali's. Perhaps a tad smoother and more bass. But somehow i didnt think them much an inprovement to the sound i had at home, which are Epos ES11's. They retail at about £2400 so they must really.

I asked about the Monopulse's and Mike said he was leaving those to last. Well these were smoother but with more detail though. They were the 42'a . Soundstage was better and the ambiance they created was better than i have heard on any speaker(although not heard that many) i listened to. Again the styling on these are unconventional, so again wondered what the wife thought. To my surprise she liked them, double whew. Back to the sound. They have a good bass as they are floorstanders which has no trace of boominess. I have found floorstanders i heard before to be a little slow and muffled in the bass but these are fast and tight and keep up with the rest of the frequencies. I am having a home demo on Monday night to see what they sound like on my suspended wooden floor. So if you are near Ashby pop in they do have some interesting kit. We had heard enough but Mike wanted to play more music. Highly recommended dealers who dont mind giving their time. Jim.

Jimbo, Jul 14, 2007
  12. Jimbo

Colin2040

Just thought I would mention to listen carefully to the balance on the speakers.I noticed on my friends that his balance seemed off.He agreed and was waiting to see if I noticed.They had a problem with the tweeter.I think the HiFi news article aludes to this as well.

Colin2040, Jul 17, 2007
  13. Jimbo

zanash

I popped over to have a listen to jimbo's loaned mono pulse speakers ...

just thought I'd let you know my feelings .....

from the first note it was clear these were a big step up from his epos...
    bass deep full & clear
    mid clean and fast
    treble clear and precise
    imaging good but very tight on a sweat spot.
    sound staging and depth .....virtually none bar a flat plane of sound regardless of speaker position.

this then threw up the concept of musical enjoyment ....in the context of jimbo's system it was minimal ...even playing one of my fav bits of music there was no foot tapping.

so these speakers have bass to die for ...show a very good flat freq range ...but seem to have missed the enjoyment in the music ...for me. Could be what colin2040 alludes to ?

zanash, Jul 21, 2007
Ask a Question