speakon connecters are they any good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by inteificio, Jun 27, 2006.

1. inteificio

inteificio

I am currently being annoyed by my amp.
    I use exceptionally fat Black Rhodium S300x2 speaker cable and am trying to fit it into the back of my Rotel RB-991, and it doesn't fit.

I recently demoed an amp with speakon speaker connectors.

I was considering modding my amp, speakers and cables to accept these connecters, which should hopefully fix the problem.

Does anyone know how these plugs sound and where you can get some?

inteificio, Jun 27, 2006
  2. inteificio

dean.l

I think they are great and sound fine, they are used in proffesional recording studios so your music has already probably been through a few:)

I got mine from maplin, not sure if they still have them though?

dean.l, Jun 27, 2006
  3. inteificio

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

First, speakon "sound" great, or rather they do not sound much at all. I prefer them together with XLR's over standard solutions, which is why my new Amplifier design includes them in addition to binding posts.

Both good quality XLR connetors and the Speakon ones are actually of the "low metal mass" persuation, embodied in this day and age by Eichman "Bullet plugs" and the WBT Nextgen stuff. Using the standard pro-audio connectors is often as good.

Speakon connectors are carried by any well stocked electronics place, Maplin included, RS Components & Farnell (rswww.com, www.farnell.com). I just got a set of plugs and sockets to add speakon inputs and maku up a speakon cable from cricklewood electronics.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jun 27, 2006
  4. inteificio

zanash

Just to note that the space in the speakons is not limitless .....so make certain theres enough room for your fat rhodiums!

zanash, Jun 27, 2006
  5. inteificio

ShinOBIWAN

I use speakons and the Neutrik STX series takes rather fat cables without problem. If you remove the strain relief boot it with happily take 18mm2.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

EDIT: The STX series is available from Farnell:

Female Speakon:
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=5008426&N=401

Male Chassis:
    http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=5008451&N=401

Beware though, the STX series has solder tabs and these require a good soldering iron to do a decent job. The SPX series has screw terminals and can also be soldered for an easier and more secure fit. I had both the STX and SPX to hand so I simply combined the body of the STX series for large cable handling with the screw terminal connector of the SPX.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2006
    ShinOBIWAN, Jun 27, 2006
  6. inteificio

inteificio

I have ordered the stx speakon sockets and plugs and will soon be modding my amp.
    Not wanting to leave my speakers out I shall be soldering the wire straight onto the crossover.
    Problems with tarnishing wire messing with the sound should be a thing of the past!

inteificio, Jun 30, 2006
Ask a Question