Spyware

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Colin2040, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Colin2040

Colin2040

Dont have a major problem with this but can anyone recomend a software to remove spyware. I was looking at Stopzilla but then I thought there are bound to be computer boffins on Zerogain who can advise?

Colin2040, Sep 20, 2008
  2. Colin2040

Bob McC living the life of Riley

spybot search and destroy free ware. Good stuff.

Bob McC, Sep 20, 2008
  3. Colin2040

Colin2040

Thanks Bob McC worked well

Colin2040, Sep 20, 2008
  4. Colin2040

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I make my most my money from removing spyware. Spybot is ok but misses soo much stuff, it detects it all but has major issues removing it. Malware bytes is a lot more effective, there is a free version for none business use.

I am finding these days it is quicker to do a full backup and reformat the computer depending on the setup. I used to do this as a last resort but on basic systems it is usually a lot quicker just to format the damn thing.

The problem with Spybot is it may remove it for a day or too but the next day the DLL attached to explorer.exe will make new registery enteries so it will just come back again.

Spybot is good for detecing spyware but not good at removing it.

amazingtrade, Sep 21, 2008
  5. Colin2040

auric FOSS

Would it be possible to lessen the chances of being infested in the first place by using Mozilla Firefox browser plus addons like NoScript, Adblocl Plus, Flashblock? These options I feel may well stop you clicking on links that lead to contagion but better still these steps plus moving to Linux on a dual boot machine with Linux for all things that you don't need Windows and Windows for those things you can not live without.

auric, Sep 21, 2008
  6. Colin2040

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Yep a simple linux installation might be part of the answer and is something I am considering as I am sick of Vista taking 40-120 seconds to boot depending on its mood.

With windows security good anti virus software, avoidance of peer to peer and a hardware firewall (router) should be enough.

Most spyware is caused by people lacking in common sense.

amazingtrade, Sep 21, 2008
  7. Colin2040

Bob McC living the life of Riley

that's you told colin2040, by an expert in the subject too!

Bob McC, Sep 21, 2008
  8. Colin2040

Colin2040

Firefox has been duly installed and I have also got a copy of Dr Spy something from google. See Zerogain is worthwhile, not just for things hi fi.

Colin2040, Sep 21, 2008
  9. Colin2040

auric FOSS

Colin2040,
    Glad to see you are using Firefox but have you yet installed NoScript, Adblock Plus & Flashblock? These addons will help you keep away from nasty visitors and are a good start to safer surfing.

The next step is not to click on things that look too good to be true and imho the last step is a dual boot bit of kit while ubuntu is user installable and it often helps to have a good read first. :)

PS Most if not all windows crafted crap will not work on Ubuntu and that helps a lot.

auric, Sep 21, 2008
  10. Colin2040

Graffoeman

I personally use Firefox for most of my surfing simply because I find it to be a more agreeable browser. However, it is computer software, no more and no less, and is as susceptible to security problems as any other software.

Full details of recent security updates for Firefox can be found here.

In the modern era of almost instant reporting of discovered browser exploits neither Mozilla/Google nor Microsoft can afford to be slack! The most important thing you can do, to stay as protected as possible, is to make sure that your OS and browser remain fully updated. Provided you practice 'safe surfing', run Anti-Virus software and keep everything fully patched up, you should have nothing to fear from either IE OR Firefox.:cool:

Graffoeman, Sep 21, 2008
  11. Colin2040

Colin2040

Its starting to get real techy here, I have visited and dowloaded all suggestions after a read. Maybe I should just surf Zeogain and leave it at that.

Colin2040, Sep 21, 2008
Ask a Question