Squeezebox 2 dropout

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by rodrat, Sep 17, 2005.

1. rodrat

rodrat

For some reason my squeezebox fails to recognise my network or the squeezebox software fails to recognise the squeezebox from time to time. This is usually after it being left on pause and usually after the computer has crashed. I go though the setup again but the only way I can sort it is to delete and reload the software. This works and the squeezebox and the network work fine.

Any ideas why?

Rod

rodrat, Sep 17, 2005
  2. rodrat

andrew1810

andrew1810, Sep 17, 2005
  3. rodrat

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Have you tried power-cycling your router and wireless network? That does it for me.

SteveC, Sep 17, 2005
  4. rodrat

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I haven't had this problem. I have has the Slim Server refuse to add any more items to the playlist until it is restarted but that was after a fairly long listening session. Also the browser interface locked up on the laptop yesterday but this was after the laptop had falling asleep and was reawakened.

I think I can see the problem you experienced. The Squeezebox will have made a TCP connection to the SlimServer application. If the PC crashes, that connection is dead. The Squeezebox should recognise this and try to establish a new connection and keep on trying until it succeeds. If it doesn't, powering down the Squeezebox (pull out the power plug) and then powering it up again should fix it.

Another posibility is that you have more than just the PC and Squeezebox on your network and when you rebooted, the PC was given a different IP address to the one it usually gets so the Squeezbox couldn't find it.

One more possibility which has nothing to do with the Squeezbox or SlimServer is that Windows forgot your WEP key so your PC was unable to use the wireless network. This has happened to me a couple of times. I'm not altogether sure what caused it but I think it might be if I open the Windows Wireless Network control panel instead of the one which was supplied with the Wireless Card (Belkin).

technobear, Sep 18, 2005
  5. rodrat

hifikrazy

Or you could try turning it off and then on again ;)

hifikrazy, Sep 18, 2005
Ask a Question