Squeezebox 2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by julian2002, Mar 29, 2005.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

hi,
    the nice ups man brought me mine this morning and after relieving me of 38 quid for the gits at customs i've plugged it up, installed the release version of slim server 6.0 and i'm now listening to music.
    i had an initial bit of a wobbler as it really doesn;t like the behringer ultramatch that i had sitting between my old squeezebox and dac it just sat there in mute silence flashing the emphasis lights on the behringer and a/s decade. after applying 240 volts to get my heart started again. i ripped out the behringer and tried again.
    this time music issued forth - whew....
    my main reason for getting the new incarnation was the poor showing the sbox 1 put up against robbos dpa transport. now i wasn;t expecting miracles but i was stunned by the difference in quality between the two. i knew the sbox 1 wasn't the ultimate in transports as my decade (and dax 2) couldn;t use their low jitter / low noise crystal lock. instead they had to use their backup wide bandwidth cascaded pll locking system to acquire the sbox 1's signal. well if only to set the cat amongst the double blind pigeons the sbox 2 is demonstrably better in this regard at least as instead of saying just 'lock' on the lower left of my decades display it now proudly adds and 'x' to that indicating the incomming signal is low jitter enough to use the crystal locking.
    however as a dyed in the wool subjectivist this means nothing to me unless, to my ears, it sounds better. well i've not done a significant back to back test but certainly the treble smearing that i was hearing is a lot less and the bass is tighter, musical instruments are more separated (but still form a cohesive whole,yada yada yada). i'm not sure if it will match robbos dpa (fancy a rematch?) and i'd be very surprised if it could (for the price) however it certainly sounds a lot closer than it did before even though i'd probably put it on a par with the arcam we heard the same day in that it's lusher and not as forward as i remember the dpa.
    additional bits to the interface and graphics are quite nice too - the spectrum analyser and proper display are nice but to my mind not essential.
    big question is. was it worth the extra outlay? well it's probably a bit too early to tell but first impressions are 'oh yes'.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Mar 29, 2005
  2. julian2002

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Thanks, Julian. I put my order in on 10th March but it's not shown up yet. I shall relegate the SB1 to my second system in anticipation :)

BTW, have you tried the SB1 and SB2 running simultaneously, and both driven from the release of v6 software? I don't want to screw up what I have working with SB1 until I have to, but maybe I should do the install so everything's ready for when the SB2 comes. What would you recommend?

SteveC, Mar 29, 2005
  3. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

steve,
    can;t remember when i ordered mine but i think it was the same day it was anounced. the pain was in knowing it was sat about 200 miles north of me over the weekend but having to wait for the bank holiday to end.
    i haven;t tried running both s/boxes at once as i've no spare network ports so i'd have to switch back and forth.
    up until this morning i was runnig 5.4 but i upgraded to 6.3b and then 6.0 in anticipation. i was getting a lot of pauses on 6.3b and the original s/box1 but i think that was due to a full music database rebuld it had to do as it settled down after about an hour.
    i'd say leave it working until you know the 2 is about to arrive and then upgrade to 6.0
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Mar 29, 2005
Ask a Question