Squeezebox and DAC ideas

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by maddog 2, Dec 20, 2005.

1. maddog 2

greg Its a G thing

Interesting stuff Dave.

greg, Jan 5, 2006
  2. maddog 2

andyoz

Very interesting indeed.

andyoz, Jan 5, 2006
  3. maddog 2

Steve Catterall

I've had a demo of the SB2+, and I was very impressed. I've been running a SB into a naim 552,500,DBL system, currently using a Digital Renaissance NOS DAC, and using the SB2+ with its internal DAC was clearly a lot better than this. Although I would say that the NOS makes the SB quite listenable, it sounded flat and lifeless compared to the SB2+, which gave my CDS2 quite a close call.

Interesting to note Dave's comments about not using an external DAC. This certainly seemed to be the case with adding the NOS to the SB2+, which I thought was not an improvement, although I'd still like to try it with some more upmarket DACs.

Steve Catterall, Jan 9, 2006
  4. maddog 2

andyoz

My "standard" SB3 is arriving in the next few days so I will have a listen and see how it goes. I am having trouble with the concept of a £170 device feeding a £4k amp/speaker rig but I may be pleasantly surprised.

I am impressed with the info. I am getting regarding the SB2+. Due to my location I have no possibility of a demo unfortunately but I would expect some fairly major differences due to the extent of the mods undertaken.

My standard SB3 could soon be religated to bedroom/study duty....

andyoz, Jan 10, 2006
Ask a Question