Squeezebox and iTunes

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by plz, Dec 17, 2005.

1. plz

plz

Hi Everyone,

Just got a SB2 wireless all set up and so far it's working just great. I ripped all my CDs with iTunes using Apple Lossless compression. Easier to rip that EAC/flac from my experience or maybe I'm just lazy. The iTunes is really plug and play.

Anyway, my question concerns the use of my iTunes library in a car using a device like the iPod. I don't need the full CD quality files for auto sound as that environment is a little more noisy than my home. So what can you folks recommend to painlessly "duplicate" my iTunes library in a MP3 format? Is anyone doing something similar?

I don't want to re-rip the CDs. Hopefully there is some way to point at my iTunes library and create a copy of the entire library using a different setup (ie. MP3 compression) without selectin each CD separately.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

-Peter

plz, Dec 17, 2005
  2. plz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i use foobar which is pretty easy to use (it's a player but can convert as well)
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Dec 17, 2005
  3. plz

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

In the intunes preferences goto advanced and change the encoding format to MP3

Click Ok

Select all your tunes.

Right click and select convert to MP3

Depending on how many you have go and make a cuppa.

Once done select the 'by kind' tab to seperate the apple lossless from MP3, create a new playlist and stick all the MP3s into it, you can now return the library to by artist or album.

In the iPod preferences have it only point to your new playlist to update the pod.

The only downside to this is the duplicates all reside in the library, you can however create another playlist for the lossless files which you can then look in with the squeeze software to avoid confusion. You could also use smart playlists to make iTunes automatically put lossless in one and MP3 in the other.

Its powerful software.

garyi, Dec 17, 2005
  4. plz

plz

Thanks for the suggestions julian and garyi. I'll try the iTunes option first as I already have that SW installed. The smart playlists do indeed look powerful.

-Peter

plz, Dec 17, 2005
Ask a Question