Squeezebox PSU

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Jan 25, 2006.

1. andyoz

andyoz

Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to a decent PSU for the Squeezebox.

I have searched the threads and not found anything. Have also searched the Slim Devices Forum but the products suggested are all US based.

Would prefer a PSU I can buy over the internet.

andyoz, Jan 25, 2006
  2. andyoz

zanash

whats the voltage ?

I've just built a couple for other gear and used the LC audio super reg board.....mind you one board fried itself but they sent a replacment asap..but thats another story.

zanash, Jan 25, 2006
  3. andyoz

andyoz

5V, 2amp

It's a switched power supply apparently but people seem to be getting slight improvements using a decent aftermarket linear supply.

andyoz, Jan 25, 2006
  4. andyoz

zanash

If you look this unit up on thLCAudio web page you will see its no ordinary psu.. it will run 0- 15v dc at 2ampish.

zanash, Jan 25, 2006
  5. andyoz

DavidY80 Long Member

Hi Andy,

I've got Russ Andrews PSU that was part-exchanged by one of our customers who purchased an SB2+ which you are welcome to try.

I've no idea what it's worth, but I'm open to offers if anyone knows how much these things are. I can't vouch for it's performance though.

DavidY80, Jan 25, 2006
  6. andyoz

andyoz

David,

Have you got any more details of the PSU?

I don't want to go "over the top" as this SB will probably be religated to bedroom duty in the near future.

andyoz, Jan 25, 2006
  7. andyoz

DavidY80 Long Member

Hi Andy,

Ok, I just did a google for it. Take a look at www.russandrews.com and find powerpak II.

DavidY80, Jan 25, 2006
  8. andyoz

andyoz

David,

I see that Russ Andrew's PSU is 12V PSU so it won't do the job I presume.

The Slim Devices forum has a thread suggesting this UK sourced PSU that has been tried by a few people: http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?Ntt=pw00187&Nty=1&N=411&Ntk=gensearch

I can't get over how crappy the "stock" PSU looks/feels so it's gotta be worth £20 to try out something different (I don't really expect any significant sound improvements to be honest).

andyoz, Feb 11, 2006
  9. andyoz

technobear Ursine Audiophile

technobear, Feb 11, 2006
  10. andyoz

Jimbo

I dont know if this is what you are looking for but Avondale Audio do a SPX1 that supposedly outperforms a Naim Hicap. You may have to wait awhile as he is busy. Hope this helps. Jimbo.

Jimbo, Feb 11, 2006
  11. andyoz

andyoz

andyoz, Feb 11, 2006
  12. andyoz

Heuer

I built my own using a Lambda linear power supply from RS Components. RS number 173-1604. A very worthwhile upgrade.

[​IMG]

Heuer, Feb 11, 2006
  13. andyoz

andyoz

Thanks Heuer,

I saw your posts on Slim Devices and am very impressed.

Not sure I want to go down that route though as the whole point of the SB was to simplify my life...... I can't be bothered looking for all the little screws, etc it takes to make even something as simple as a PSU.

Have you compared to SB sound with your PSU vs. a plug-n-play linear supply?

andyoz, Feb 11, 2006
  14. andyoz

Heuer

No as I could not find a plug 'n play PSU having the correct specifications and producing the quality of output I was after. Not all linear psu's are equal I am afraid!

Heuer, Feb 11, 2006
  15. andyoz

DavidY80 Long Member

Hi Andy,

Sorry I didn't see your reply earlier.

This PSU was purchased specifically for the SB and is the right specification, although it may not be exactly as the one on the website. If you want to try it, I'm more than happy to send it to you to see what you think. If you like it, make me an offer, if not just send it back.

Regards
    Dave

DavidY80, Feb 11, 2006
  16. andyoz

andyoz

OK David, I am definately interested then.

Have you tried it with an SB and could you tell any difference with the Russ Andrews PSU compared to the standard PSU?

I see it's a "switching" PSU, everyone seems to be using "linear" supplies. To be honest, I don't care what type I use as long as I can ditch the crappy stock PSU.

I'll pm you.

andyoz, Feb 11, 2006
  17. andyoz

Heuer

It is the swiching supply that causes the problem - introduces high frequency noise into the SB and also back onto the mains. To see any improvement you need a linear supply (means a heavy transformer) and you need to ensure there is a low level of ripple on the output along with good smoothing and regulation.

Heuer, Feb 12, 2006
  18. andyoz

zanash

I think I'd be happier with a linear......SM's seem to me to add a bit of an edgyness to the music.

zanash, Feb 12, 2006
  19. andyoz

andyoz

Thanks for the input everybody.

Heuer, I know you said you couldn't find a plug-n-play linear supply you felt was good enough, but are there any plug-n-play models you might have considered?

andyoz, Feb 12, 2006
  20. andyoz

Heuer

I am afraid not. I started the other way around - I was going to build one from scratch but then I found the Lambda unit. Given the cost (£40) it was not worth the hassle. Only took me a hour or so to assemble and most of that time was down to drilling the case.

Don't you know anyone who can solder and assemble the case for you. Hobbyist, electrician, plumber?

Heuer, Feb 13, 2006
Ask a Question