Squeezebox PSU

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andyoz, Jan 25, 2006.

1. andyoz

andyoz

I would normally have a go at it myself but I don't have easy access to any decent electronics shops so I tend to get everything over the web. It's a nightmare getting all the little bits needed to make even simple things.

Plug-n-play it'll have to be.

andyoz, Feb 13, 2006
  2. andyoz

Heuer

Seems someone has had good success with the Linear p 'n p supply from CPC/Farnell.

Heuer, Feb 14, 2006
  3. andyoz

The Moog

Is the Farnell linear PSU £20 well spent if you have a Squeezebox then? Anyone heard a noticable difference from the stock PSU? Cheers!

The Moog

The Moog, Apr 18, 2006
  4. andyoz

DavidY80 Long Member

I haven't heard the Farnell PSU you mention, but replacing the PSU can make a noticeable difference (even replacing the supplied PSU with another switcher!), and I would have thought it was worth a punt at £20.

DavidY80, Apr 18, 2006
  5. andyoz

zanash

Could be worth a punt ...rs do a nice one with variable voltage for about the same san's case work.

zanash, Apr 18, 2006
  6. andyoz

julian2002 Muper Soderator

i use a replacement switcher from maplins - it's rated at 5v 4 amps and has an iec input. i seem to remember it being regulated too. couldn;t find it on the website again so i think they might have stopped doing them. there was a reasonable gain in performance over the standard wall wart but then i use some elephant cock power leads and a bada conditioner before it too.

julian2002, Apr 18, 2006
  7. andyoz

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Did you get anywhere with which psu to use andy? Finally got my sb3 and qnap up and running, and can't believe how cheap the psu is!

davidcotton, Apr 26, 2006
  8. andyoz

Smithy

The Decibel Dungeon SMPS has a 5volt capability,has anybody used one of these?

Smithy, Apr 26, 2006
  9. andyoz

andyoz

Haven't actually purchased anything yet, but will just go with something simple like the one suggested in this thread and elsewhere:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/searchPage2.jsp?Ntt=pw00187&Nty=1&N=411&Ntk=gensearch

I have just ordered another two SB3's. Will be putting one in the bedroom with a set of these actives I got off eBay.

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/recording/lsr25p.htm

The other one will be going in the kitchen and I am thinking of using a Cyrus XPA amp (with Auto Power On sensing) and a set of 2nd hand bookshelf speakers.

Have you got into the Internet Radio and Pandora yet?

andyoz, Apr 26, 2006
  10. andyoz

davidcotton prog rocker, proud of it!

Still transferring files over to the qnap. The sb3s in the bedroom whilst the pc and net connections in another room. The original plan was to have had the qnap and sb3 in the bedroom. However after trying this last night the qnap is just and I do mean just the wrong side of loud for me. So I'm thinking a run of ethernet cable from room to room with it tucked under the carpet out the way will do.

davidcotton, Apr 26, 2006
  11. andyoz

zanash

Your going to need better than that psu ?

I would doubt that its any better than the stock unit. For a few pounds you could build one with a torroidal tranny, couple or four rectifiers, lm317 a cap ortwo and a nice case.

zanash, Apr 26, 2006
  12. andyoz

bec143

The SB2 PS made a difference!

I just got an Elpac 1.5 amp (I know it's a little too wimpy) linear power supply to play with. My immediate impression is that it has made a real difference on bringing my SB2 from OK to near my CD5/Hicap. Next step- a NOS DAC (Monica on the way).

Maybe there is something to this after all!

Bruce

bec143, Apr 27, 2006
  13. andyoz

zanash

That's a result..........!

zanash, Apr 27, 2006
  14. andyoz

DavidY80 Long Member

There certainly is! I'm not a big fan of the NOS DAC's I've heard, but I do know that the Squeezebox can leave the CD5 a long way behind.

Brush up your ebay selling skills, I've got a feeling you're going to be selling the Naim before too long.

DavidY80, Apr 27, 2006
  15. andyoz

bec143

Maybe, but I'm still having some problems with wireless dropouts, although much improved. And I'm also not quite happy with options for storing my music on a dedicated external drive that can be accessed from my Mac laptop via iTunes. So these logistic issues will probably keep the CD player in the house.

I guess the next step will be to see how much better it can get with a DAC of some sort. If it improves more, I'll be more inclined to try to make the swtich from CD

Bruce

bec143, Apr 27, 2006
  16. andyoz

bec143

I know, it was a bit shocking overall!

bec143, Apr 27, 2006
Ask a Question