Squeezebox

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Dev, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Dev

Dev Moderator

Have any of you guys regretted buying a Squeezebox or similar device?

I rarely use mine, preferring to take out a CD or listen from the PC. It's because I dislike it's user interface. I find browsing through the menu cumbersome. Browsing through CDs is fine:). No issues using Rhythmbox on the PC either. Just the display on the Squeezebox that I find takes too long to search through trying to decide what to listen to. If I have an album in mind then it's no problem.

Dev, Feb 12, 2008
  2. Dev

Shuggie

My problem is quite the opposite. I find the Squeezebox interface is great for browsing music that I wouldn't otherwise consider. The problem is that the sound quality is not even remotely in the same league as my Lyngdorf CD-1 CD player, with both feeding digits into my Lyngdorf TDA2200 amp; in the case of the SB streaming uncompressed WAV via ethernet. The SB sounds comparatively thin and grey, while the CD-1 is colourful and dynamic. I still like the convenience of the SB, though, particularly for internet radio.

Shuggie, Feb 12, 2008
  3. Dev

Sir Galahad Harmonia Mundi

I work from home and use my office SB3 mainly for Internet radio, Pandora in particular, as background music. Whenever I hear something that reminds me of an album I haven't played in a long time (or even forgot I owned for lack of playing it), I like the convenience of the web interface to play the complete CD. No need to stand up and look for the CD, it's all there at my fingertips.
    I use the SB3 in the living room mostly in shuffle mode, another way to hear or re-discover long forgotten goldies, be it jazz, rock or classical.

To answer your question, Dev, no regret whatsoever, I'm an addict.

Sir Galahad, Feb 12, 2008
  4. Dev

andyoz

I was at a mates on the weekend and have to say I was envious of the way he flicked thru album artwork on his laptop running iTunes.

Given the size of the SB screen, I think they've done the best they can.

andyoz, Feb 12, 2008
  5. Dev

Dev Moderator

I like iTunes interface as well. I agree given the size of the screen it's not possible to have the have level of convenience as iTunes Rhythmbox etc.

Dev, Feb 12, 2008
  6. Dev

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

... for that, the Duet will fill the gap, we hope.

SteveC, Feb 12, 2008
  7. Dev

RobHolt Moderator

I had the same problems Dev.
    Didn't like the interface but more importantly didn't like the RF the thing was spraying around the room - to the extent that my FM tuner was unusable. That was a SB+ rather than the standard SB3.

These days I just connect the notebook up to the 24/384 upsampling input on the CD player via optical, use iTunes and away you go.

RobHolt, Feb 13, 2008
  8. Dev

andyoz

The Logitech Squeezebox Duet got a brief mention in the Sunday Times "Gadget" section last week.

andyoz, Feb 13, 2008
  9. Dev

zanash

mine was the same ....I nearly got rid of it. Out the box it was sterile, lifeless, with a flat presentation.

this can be easily remedied....

the culprit is the nasty wall wart psu .....bin this and make, borrow find a linear 5v dc output psu ...

using a decent psu ...it rivals my cdp [the cdp has the edge but can only play one disc....where as the sb3 has 1000plus cd's ]

if you need more info pm me

zanash, Feb 13, 2008
  10. Dev

Dev Moderator

This is sort of what I do, except replace notebook with PC and iTunes with Rhythmbox:).

I can understand why you sold your SB+.

Pete, I have replaced the wall wart with a "decent" PSU. My issue isn't with the audio quality, which I can hopefully improve with a better DAC.

Dev, Feb 13, 2008
  11. Dev

unclepuncle

Never found the interface was a problem - saves getting up and browsing through my cd's. For the money I think it's a cracking device and wouldn't dream of going back to a CD spinner.

unclepuncle, Feb 13, 2008
  12. Dev

Dev Moderator

But, but, but, this is the good part:D.

Apart from listening to them of course.

Dev, Feb 13, 2008
  13. Dev

Stuart

I'm on my second SB and haven't regretted either. The interface is not perfect but is perfectly adequate and fit for purpose. If I want to browse by album art I can do that via the lappy.

I find it a brilliant way to interact with and explore my digital music.

Stuart, Feb 13, 2008
  14. Dev

Tenson Moderator

Dev,

Sounds like you could do with a touch screen PDA to link in wirelessly and show more info on the bigger screen, oh and get album art too!

Or one of those new Logitec remotes but I dunno if they are out yet and they will cost a bit.

Tenson, Feb 13, 2008
  15. Dev

maddog 2

I agree with the interface comment. I used to run mine in the same room as my main system and I ended up using CDs most of the time, rather than play the SB.

However, now I run it in the kitchen and it works a treat. I can access all my music quickly and easily.

The main system in the lounge is still CD driven and the computer upstairs uses mediamonkey software to play all the FLAC files.

Overall, it's a good setup.

maddog 2, Feb 13, 2008
  16. Dev

Shuggie

I have built a decent linear supply, using a Paul Hynes Design regulator module. That improved the sound considerably, but it's still no match for the Lyngdorf CD-1. Paul does sell ready-made PSUs for the Squeezebox - see http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page7.html .

Shuggie, Feb 13, 2008
  17. Dev

DavidF

Its not a major task, surely?

Horses for courses I guess!

edit: a disc lasts for a good 1/2 hour at least......prob more.

+ stops automatically (more than my TT does!)

I don't see the issue!

DavidF, Feb 13, 2008
  18. Dev

Tenson Moderator

I've noticed Squeezebox type solutions seem to be popular with track-skippers. You always hear about 'wow I can listen on random', but personally I like to choose my music to suit my mood and I listen to the whole album start to end.

Plus... I bet I can find any CD in my collection faster than browsing folders on a SB. I'd say I can find any of my CDs within 5 seconds.

Tenson, Feb 13, 2008
  19. Dev

Dev Moderator

Agreed. But more importantly, sometimes when you cannot think of a CD to listen to, browsing through helps. With Squeezebox I get impatient and the moment is gone.

Dev, Feb 13, 2008
  20. Dev

mr cat Member of the month

but whats quicker..? searching your aqueezebox or through a collection of 500+ cds..?

thats just what I've heard from fans of the squeezebox...I'm still haven't converted over tho...I may well do at some point but I'm not thinking about it just yet..!

mr cat, Feb 13, 2008
Ask a Question