Standmount Speakers required

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Ya-Boo, May 27, 2006.

1. Ya-Boo

Tenson Moderator

Regarding the ATC's, we will see :)

I think I did recommend some of the smaller MEG's to Ya-Boo and they even look quite nice in their wood finish. Not exactly bass monsters but would give lots of detail and good imaging.

Tenson, Jun 2, 2006
  2. Ya-Boo

nando nando

I USED TO HAVE SCM 100'S TRID ALL PRE-AMPS THAT I COULD, EVEN SCM 50'S IT'S ALL A MATTER OF PREFERENCE, how ever for the room size that he has i think he should try proac 1 sc's, i know that avi used to make the built in amps for atc, i still have a pair of scm1's passive, wich i do listen to know and again in the spare room, regards .

nando, Jun 4, 2006
  3. Ya-Boo

nando nando

Hi If Not The Proacs I Will Also Recomend The Arcs, Super Spkrs,

nando, Jun 28, 2006
  4. Ya-Boo

ditton happy old soul

I have a pair of JM Lab Electra 905s I should find a home for - they are over-performing in dining room at present.

ditton, Jun 28, 2006
  5. Ya-Boo

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

JM Lab Micro Utopia Be's serious performing stand mounts of quality

wadia-miester, Jun 29, 2006
  6. Ya-Boo

Stereo Mic

And you sell those do you Tony?

Stereo Mic, Jun 29, 2006
  7. Ya-Boo

A long with a lot of other equipment Mike yes we do :)

wadia-miester, Jun 29, 2006
  8. Ya-Boo

Stereo Mic

Glad to hear it's going well Tony. I just thought it worth clarifying as I don't think you sell any of the other products recommended on the thread, and of course you are now in the trade- so different rules apply!

Cheers

M

Stereo Mic, Jun 29, 2006
  9. Ya-Boo

Garmt

I second the WB Arc, but also try the old and venerable Epos ES11 or Epos ES14. Still great! Can be had for next to nothing. Also pretty ugly though. JM Lab Micro BE is also very good, but partner well!

Garmt, Jun 29, 2006
  10. Ya-Boo

nando nando

speakers are amongts the most personal hi-fi item that you live with the longer, choosing them is not to difficult pending on room size and position, i like floor stand loudspekers because i am lucky to have the room, also i use the proacs 1sc's as a second room system, i am also very familier with the jm's and are also very good,best advice i can give is to try them in your own enviorement,regards.

nando, Jun 29, 2006
  11. Ya-Boo

shrink

and your very wise... as they are quite simply outstanding speakers... words cant descrive how accomplished i think these standmounters are. They perform far better than they have any right to and nothing we demoed at anywhere near the pricepoint could match them. (and that includes kef's top end reference model)

shrink, Jul 14, 2006
  12. Ya-Boo

Tenson Moderator

Having looked at the design more closely I would second Thorsten's suggestion of the Elac 602 X-JET. They look very promising indeed.

Tenson, Jul 14, 2006
  13. Ya-Boo

Shrink, nice choice sir great speaker indeed, If you great a chance audtion the Utopia micro's as well, flipping amazing little speaker

wadia-miester, Jul 14, 2006
  14. Ya-Boo

shrink

they are indeed very impressive WM.... its all down to that tweeter i think. It removes the limitations you normally impose on treble units, free from grain, smear, brightness, sibilance, the lot.

one of the most accomplished tweeters ive heard

shrink, Jul 14, 2006
  15. Ya-Boo

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

You might be right. I have been working recently on a standmounter which MIGHT become commercial. I used one of the new generation pro-audio leaf tweeters with waveguide, more or less the same device as used in the quadral titan referenced below without waveguide and I must say that I have been impressed how good the result is.

No doubt the rather overbuild woofer I selected (4" Voicecoil on a 7" diameter cone and a 9.5" frame!!!!) helps as well, but the large leaf device allows a crossover point low enough to get away with such a large long-throw "woofer" device.

I'm pleased to see that the last 10 or so years since I seriously looked at market have produced some genuinely outstanding and innovative products instead of many of the mediocre driver with high tech cone that nevertheless still seem to dominate the landscape.

Still, if you look hard enough, the good stuff exists. I just wish I could get the designer of DIY-HiFiSupplies "NeoFone" fullrange driver to scale the design to double size as a woofer. Now THAT would be something.

Maybe in the next 10 Years or so the currently common speaker designs will finally be resigned to the big scrapheap they have always belonged on.... :D

Ciao T

3DSonics, Jul 14, 2006
  16. Ya-Boo

ListeningEar

Still happy with my VR-1's on iF Design's custom stands,...well I had to get it in ;) :p

ListeningEar, Jul 16, 2006
  17. Ya-Boo

joel Shaman of Signals

Rey Audio RM series monitors. Standmounters that are passive, but with enough grunt, and sufficient detail
    [​IMG]

joel, Jul 16, 2006
  18. Ya-Boo

Dev Moderator

Very nice Joel. I like your idea of standmounts. 1.3m high (excluding stands ISTM), 1m wide and weighing in at 250Kg according to this. I love it :D.

Dev, Jul 16, 2006
  19. Ya-Boo

Hi Shrink,

I would say its really the sum of the parts with the JM lab equipment, the tweeter is very good, so is the cone design and implimentation of the 'Power flower' drivers, unique cone construction techniques and material, superb attention to design and presentatial detail coupled with quality x/over R & D.
    Plus the cabinet design Dominic did a fine job on them.
    We do get an awful lot of interest in these top quality speakers.
    Wm

wadia-miester, Jul 16, 2006
  20. Ya-Boo

nando nando

O.k. I Am Glad You Have Listened To Jm's, The First Feature Of A Stand Mount Speaker,"i Believe" Is The Imaging To Be Able To Make The Cabinet Dissapear, And The Projectipn Of Sound From A Two Source System Would Or Should Create A "stage"! There Are Many Loudspekers In This Minimal Market That Most Is Veered Towards Home Cinema, Price On Stand Mounted Speakers In My Oppinion Sometimes Begs Belief...

nando, Jul 16, 2006
Ask a Question