Standmount suggestions, sub £200

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by andrew1810, Jan 7, 2006.

1. andrew1810

andrew1810

Looking for some magnetically shielded standmount speakers to replace my Rega Ela's (I need the shielding so they have to go)

Budget of whatever I can get for the Ela's so probably £150-£200

I like neutral sounding speakers for acoustic music etc.

So far I have seen

AE Evo 1
    Epos ELS3
    Mission Volare V61

Any suggestions?

Andrew

andrew1810, Jan 7, 2006
  2. andrew1810

Tenson Moderator

Have you seen the new active monitors from Samson? They have ribon tweeters. I think you could get them for about £200.

Tenson, Jan 7, 2006
  3. andrew1810

andrew1810

They look good, but a little expensive and would be a waste of my amp

A few more options:
    Mission M51
    Monitor Audio R90
    Monitor Audio Silver 3i

andrew1810, Jan 7, 2006
  4. andrew1810

Tenson Moderator

Hmm.. I like the Monitor Audio Gold range. The Silver is probably pretty good too.

Could you sell the amp? As I have said in a few other threads, I believe active monitors in this price range give FAR better sound for the money than a separate amp and cheap'o speakers. I'd go listen to a few at least so you can compare them to separate speakers and the amp you have.

Tenson, Jan 7, 2006
  5. andrew1810

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Hi andrew, no suggestions, but you are going to have a tough time replacing the Ela's. I had the Missions M51's and to be honest, they arent bad, but they arent a patch on the Ela's. I suspect the same will be true of the Volare. Also the B&W 602's arent a patch on the Ela's either.

PBirkett, Jan 9, 2006
  6. andrew1810

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Andrew,

I can strongly recommend the Revolver R16. It has an RRP of £300, but they go for £150-200 used. I too listen to a lot of acoustic music and am very impressed with the lack of obvious flaws in the sound.

OK, so they don't have Focal's fancy tweeter (which sounds strident & forward 80% of the time IME) or B&W's pretty design, but they are a very well-balanced design and have a wonderfully coherent & musical presentation. They go a little deeper than you'd expect and only really disappoint during massive timpani-led dynamic swings (diddy 5" driver the limiting factor there).

BTW, don't be scared by the metal dome tweeter - its very smooth. Oh, and they're 90dB 8Ohm, so a very benign load for their size.

They're not embarrased in the company of my SF signums either, at four times the price.

DT

Dynamic Turtle, Jan 9, 2006
  7. andrew1810

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

how good is your amp?

quality small speakers need decent amplifiers to really sing.

If you havent got a decent amp, I'd keep the budget speakers and look at the amp iinstead.

you might want to consider a used pair of ruarks. The models I have heard make excellent second hand buys, and the cabinets are gorgeous too. As mentioned they need a decent amp to sound their best.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ruark-epilogu...51918799QQcategoryZ111694QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bottleneck, Jan 9, 2006
  8. andrew1810

andrew1810

Thanks for the suggestions, I've been thinking over the weekend and decided to keep the speakers and just send back the unshielded TV, I would have needed to replace the Kef's as well so it wasn't worth it.

Andrew

andrew1810, Jan 9, 2006
  9. andrew1810

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Ask a Question