Stanley Jordan

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Tom Alves, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

Way back when Channel 4 was first launced it had THE definitive pop programme "The Tube", a show which not only launched the likes of Suzanne Vega but also and more importantly Stanley Jordan. Anyone lucky enough to have seen him performing Eleanor Rigby in harmony on his guitar knows what I meean. The guy played his guitar like a piano creating chords and multiple lines that no ordinary guitarist could produces without overdubs etc.

Duly impressed I bought his first album "Magic Touch" which is great jazz and showed off his technique. It contained standards like Round Midnight & Freddie Freeloader but also his own songs which were no less strong. And very occaisionally i get this album out and play it.

So what else has he done and did the early promise bear fruit? Anyone else know of him? What else is worth owning? I ask this because I have once again stumbled across the album and got myself wondering.

If you don't know him and have any interest in guitar playing buy "Magic Touch" and marvel

Tom Alves, Jan 21, 2005
  2. Tom Alves

Graham C

I think it was something of a musical cul-de-sac. The first album is the best. I have MT and 'best of', and a few bits where he has collaborated elsewhere. The point is, he developed a technique that was so complicated, I think he would have to work out everything upfront, and the opportunities for grooving and syncopating with other muso's is limited. His conventional soloing was limp [he does an ill-advised Stairway to H somwhere]. I would love to have seen him busking in his youth. Try Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Frank Gambale, Dave Goodman etc

Graham C, Jan 22, 2005
Ask a Question