Starting out DJ equipmemt

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Mar 25, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Me and my mate plan to start an alternative/electro/inide night playing all the stuff the big clubs won't play and also cutting edge stuff from new bands such as Intrapol and Performance rahter than the clubs in towns idea of a new band (Kieser Cheifs).

We intend not to do it free at first just in the background just to get our names known. We will however need some basic equipment, I have seen a basic Genimi turntbale for £60 with pitch control (superfi) but its belt drive, I am not sure if this will create much of a problem or not.

We also need some kind of mixer but what do I need to look for on this, all I know is it should have a cross fader. I ma hoping to use my parents Sony CDP530 CD player at first because it has a very fast transport and is very depandble.

I am assuming the pubs/bars we will end up playing in will have their own amplication and speaker system.

Should the cheap stuff be avoided or are they ok for just playing records? We don't intend doing anything fancy such as MC'ing or mixing other than a bit of simple cross fading.

amazingtrade, Mar 25, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

SCIDB Moderator

Hi AT,

I would recommend to get the best you can afford. For turntables, you need something that is well built and sturdy. If you are going to cart your gear around, you don't want something that is flimsy. Better built decks will feedback less. This can be important is you have to set up you decks near the speakers.

Direct drives are the usual ones to go for but the cheaper decks are usually belt drive. The Technics SL1200 mkII are the long running standard. These are well built, sturdy, durable and give a good sound. It I was going to use the decks at a gig, I would go for something better than the Gemini decks.

There are a number of companies making decks such as Numark, Gemini, Stanton, Vestax, Kam and Citronic. The Technics retail for around £325ish new but you may get them cheaper or 2nd hand.

Some of the decks on this page may do the job. Make sure you use decent DJ cartridges such as Ortofon & Stantons.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/decks/?qs=11

A good quality mixer can be had for under £150. I have used a Numark for home use and DJ gigs. There are a large number on the market. At a number of clubs that I dj at, Allen and Health are the used often. Have a look at this page. You can go up the pages for more expensive mixers. Cheap mixers don't last as long and can sound awful.

http://www.decks.co.uk/products/mixers?reset=1

As for cd players, any half decent cheap player will do to start off with.

Most bars nowadays will have their own PA but some pubs may not.

Also bear in mind that some places will have their own equipment or they may get equipment in.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 26, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The Tecnics 1200 - I used to drool over them when I was a kid, but I got the HIFI bug so I had no realy reason to buy one, there is no way I could afford one at the moment though, we haven't even got any venues lined up etc. So we just need somthing basic but sturdy, but idealy probably direct drive and with pitch control.

I think studyness is perhaps the most important issue though, somthing with a crappy plastic arm and body isn't go to last long.

amazingtrade, Mar 26, 2005
Ask a Question