starting out - help needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by seneca, Nov 24, 2008.

1. seneca

seneca

Hi folks,

This is my first post and I had better say upfront that I don't know much about hifi. I spend most of the time listening to classical cds on portable machines (currently a Bose wave radio/cd.) Thought it was about time I ventured into the world of hifi.

Recently a friend of a friend has been clearing out his stuff and I have acquired the following from him: Arcam alpha 8 cd player, alpha 8 amp and alpha 8 power amp. Unfortunately there are no connecting leads, speakers or speaker cable, so I need help with choosing something that would complement them. (Don't fancy lugging all three around the shops for testing!)

My budget is around 250 for speakers and 100 for leads & speaker cable. (Overall, I have allocated 400 to spend on it, but am looking to get as much value as I can – don't mind used equipment, as that's what I've already got. would it be waiting for post xmas sales)

Some people have directed me to the KEF iq5se, so I went to Richer Sounds during my lunch break and they were impressive. But that was with their equipment, which I figure is not a true test. (This is probably heresy to say, but they “look†great too and won't take up too much room.)

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

seneca, Nov 24, 2008
  2. seneca

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

Don't spend too much time worrying about cables, make sure you get some decent speaker stands and also get the positioning of your speakers right. Good £15-£20 inconnects should do the job, and the speaker cable depends on the length between the amps. I recently bought a Qnex 2 cable for £8 in the sale and I am sure they would be fine for your Arcam boxes.

amazingtrade, Nov 24, 2008
  3. seneca

dudywoxer Regaholic

Just find some van damme interconnects and studio grade speaker cable, the bay is as good a place as any or clearly av. That will leave you with the bulk of your money for speakers. You should find some revolver rw 16 on the used market for around ?250
    ________
    Peak Towers Condo

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2011
    dudywoxer, Nov 24, 2008
  4. seneca

fatmarley

People are starting to realise that wanky wires are a waste of money. Studio grade cables like; Van damme, Mogami and Klotz are cheap and all you need.

Speakers are a very personal thing. If you like to listen at low and high volumes, big speakers with big drivers are the way to go. Vintage DC Tannoys are popular at the moment. (The not so vintage Tannoy, DMT, studio monitors are also very popular). Big Tannoys are pretty sensitive, so your kit should have no problem driving them.

Sealed boxes give a nice, tight, fast bass, but are usually lifeless at low volume and quite often require a powerfull amplifier. The smaller the box/driver, the worse the problem gets. ATC make some good sealed designs but I don't think they'd suite your kit.

Rega ela and Royd minstrels are small floorstanders that can be had cheap, and they both get good reviews from people. I would imagine they'd work fine with your kit.

It's a very good time to buy secondhand gear now, because of the credit crunch and being close to xmas.
    If you don't spend too much, you can always sell it on for little or no loss.

Good luck!

fatmarley, Nov 25, 2008
  5. seneca

Most my gear is worth more second hand than what I paid for it new, although the crunch may have changed that. With regard to speakers a lot of it depends on room size too.

amazingtrade, Nov 25, 2008
  6. seneca

fatmarley

In my experience, small speakers trying to produce deep bass are more likely to sound boomy in a small room. I had some very expensive, standmount, Dynaudio speakers that boomed really badly. My big 10" (small for Tannoys) are much better, but still not as good as sealed box bass.

Big speakers have an effortless quality to the bass that can work well in small rooms.

fatmarley, Nov 25, 2008
  7. seneca

DavidF

:D

Hi seneca and welcome.

Interconnects?

The debate rages

I say they can make a considerble difference, have a word with zanash.....on this forum....for value for money leads (both speaker and i/cs). He will be able advise on whats best for you....lend you some to try.....and I feel quite sure he'll be very happy to advise on all aspects of your kit.

I am not suggesting you spend a fortune btw, just neither do subscribe to the 2,99 with a packet of chewing gum philosophy. Try to get some to try and use your ears to decide for yourself.

Yes speaker set up can /does make an enormous difference.....as can vibration isolation (oh, don't get me started :))

Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated

If i might suggest it, try to head towards producing a good souind stage with instruments clearly defines between and behing speakers.

DavidF, Nov 25, 2008
  8. seneca

DavidF

A rather sweeping and mostly misleading statment IMO.

here we go.........

:rolleyes:

DavidF, Nov 25, 2008
  9. seneca

technobear Ursine Audiophile

I used to own Alpha 8's. I used QED Qunex 2 for interconnects. Those or the latest equivalent will work just fine (as would Cambridge Audio Pacific). For speaker cable the Van Damme Blue Series is good. 2.5mm would do fine but 4mm is slightly better. Anything bigger is probably overkill. Avoid QED SA (silver anniversary). As to speakers, the KEFs will work just fine with the Arcams but if you want to be sure then insist on a home demo.

technobear, Nov 25, 2008
  10. seneca

fatmarley

I don't want to fall out with anyone at this special time of year, so how about I send you some of my special xmas cables? They have gold, frankinscence and myyrh in them. The contacts have also been cleaned with holy water.

fatmarley, Nov 25, 2008
  11. seneca

mr cat Member of the month

I'm currently using silver tinsel - you should give it a go.... :D

mr cat, Nov 25, 2008
  12. seneca

fatmarley

I will deffo try some when i get the decorations out of the loft. Do you know if the colour makes any difference? I know we have some blue tinsel, but i'm worried it may be a bit dark sounding.

fatmarley, Nov 25, 2008
  13. seneca

mr cat Member of the month

I find silver works the best with gold bits tied at the ends as they make excellent connectors... :)

mr cat, Nov 25, 2008
  14. seneca

fatmarley

I bet they look really nice too!
    I've done extensive research into cables and found that the more attractive ones always sound better.

fatmarley, Nov 25, 2008
  15. seneca

I never suggested the OP should buy cheapo interconnects, I am merely telling him not to spend £100 on one!

amazingtrade, Nov 25, 2008
  16. seneca

Haselsh1 Shaun H

The best speaker cable I ever used was plain old twin and earth with the earth wire removed. The only real problem I had with it is that it is not very bendy.

Haselsh1, Nov 25, 2008
  17. seneca

DavidF

No nor I.

Seneca the balls in your court. :)

You now have both arguements (I think:))

"The best speaker cable I ever used was plain old twin and earth with the earth wire removed. The only real problem I had with it is that it is not very bendy"

twin and earth is ok.

DavidF, Nov 25, 2008
  18. seneca

Rahman

Hi

I know a few around here bash the PMC's, but I'd suggest some used PMC DB1+ or TB2+'s.

They're very neutral sounding speakers and have impressive bass given their little size. They also have pretty good synergy with arcam gear. I've currently got some FB1+'s (floorstanding version of TB2) bi-amped with a lowly 80wpc avr280, using van damme cables, and it sounds pretty good (imho). I also spend plenty of time listening to classical if that helps.

They're also going pretty cheap now given the introduction of the new i series.

Cheers
    Adrian

Rahman, Nov 26, 2008
Ask a Question