Steinhart Amps - brief impressions

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by 7_V, Oct 4, 2003.

1. 7_V

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Yesterday, I took the Seventh Veil roadshow up to Northampton, to Carl Pihl's house, the UK distributor of Steinhart amps.

To get straight to the bottom line, the Steinhart's are the bargain of the decade at £2,300 for the preamp and £3,400 for the power amp. This is for 100W/channel valves.

Yes, the sound was warm with the speakers but I prefer that to cold. Certainly there wasn't a hint of harshness, even with the wick turned up.

The highs and lows were both very extended compared to most valve amps and the overall balance seemed quite neutral. We measured the in-room frequency response of the system with the speakers and subs using third octave tones and a good SPL meter. It was respectably flat from 20Hz to 20kHz. There was considerable output at both extremes and significant output at 16Hz. However, the amp controlled the bass very well and it was pretty tight.

Imaging and soundstage was excellent, indicating that the phase response of the pre/power amp combo was good - the Steinhart has no coupling capacitors in the circuit so this wasn't totally surprising.

'Slam' and attack were better than I'm used to with valve amps. I look forward to getting the W-M response on this amp and the 'Soul' amp in this regard. Valve amps can rock.

It bounced along very nicely too - would give the flat-earth boys something to think about.

In short, I expected to like this amp and I did. The Steinhart amplifiers are fabulous. I would recommend that anyone in the market for an amp in this sort of price range (or considerably more) gives it a listen. I haven't heard anything better at the price or anywhere near it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2003
    7_V, Oct 4, 2003
  2. 7_V

Robbo

Steve,

nice report. I have been impressed by the Steinhard kit at the last two heathrow shows. It looks like good value to me.

Another one to listen to is Audio Reaserch. My CA50 rocks very nicely and has excellent timing. It sounds absolutely nothing like the traditional valve amp sterotype.

Cheers, Robbo

Robbo, Oct 4, 2003
  3. 7_V

I'll look out for the AR amps. Next stop for the Seventh Veil roadshow (after another trip to Tom's) is to listen to the £37,500 Wavac monoblocks - single-ended triode with attitude. I wonder how far they will conform to the valve amp stereotype.

7_V, Oct 4, 2003
  4. 7_V

GrahamN

Nice report Steve. May well be that your speakers - by the reports we've read being a bit (c)leaner than the rather euphonious Vienna Acoutics speakers they dem with - make a good match with these amps.

It may also be that my tastes, historically quite warm (even tubby), now tend a lot more to the clear/clean than previously, now I've found stuff that can do it without sounding harsh/dry/sterile - and hence my disappointment with their sound (IIRC I felt exactly the same about them - using the same speakers in the same configuration - last year). The Beethovens they dem with are no slouches, but it may well be that they could do with something better to show off nearly £6k of amps.

Can you think of anything appropriate? ;)

GrahamN, Oct 4, 2003
  5. 7_V

titian

Steve,
    could you please list the music you heard and the other components of the system?

thanks

titian

titian, Oct 4, 2003
  6. 7_V

Uhhh, can I phone a friend?

Electrocompaniet cd player
    Steinhart Audio DVP-2XR Preamplifier
    Steinhart Audio 102DD Power amplifier driving ...
    Seventh Veil Nonsuch 4 full-range speakers
    Acoustic Research active crossover for the bass to ...
    Steinhart Audio 102DD Power amplifier driving ...
    Seventh Veil Little Awesome subs (2)
    Granite shelved stand with carbon fibre bits between each shelf

The music was all on cd - some of my usual testing stuff ...
    Jazz at the Pawnshop
    Theesink - Songs from the Southland
    Lou Reed - Walk on the Wild Side
    Janis Ian - At Seventeen
    Reiner/Chicago Symphony - Scherazade

Carl's stuff was varied, mostly classical ...
    Haitink - Mahler's 4th Symphony
    Anne-Sophie Mutter - Carmen Fantasie (fantastic)
    Assorted other violin, piano, organ, orchestral and opera stuff
    Dire Strates - Brothers in Arms
    Some amazing Swedish jazzy piece with four female saxophonists.

7_V, Oct 4, 2003
  7. 7_V

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Might be a bit tuff that one Steve :D

wadia-miester, Oct 4, 2003
  8. 7_V

Well, you know me.

I'll travel the motorways of England (and Scotland, Tom). I'll journey the air routes of the world. I'll pound the Internet. I'll even suffer the slings and arrows of the Zero Gain forum. I won't rest until Seventh Veil speakers are the automatic exhibition choice for every amplifier manufacturer worth a damn.

One day ...

7_V, Oct 4, 2003
  9. 7_V

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Been at the pop tonite Steve? :D

wadia-miester, Oct 5, 2003
  10. 7_V

I refuse to answer on the grounds that ...

What was the question again?

7_V, Oct 5, 2003
Ask a Question