Stereo amp for Dali Lektor 6 speakers???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tobiah, Mar 7, 2011.

1. tobiah

tobiah

I recently started looking at getting a nice hifi system for the new house. Previously just used an all in one home cinema system or computer speakers etc.

I saw the denon m38 and q acoustics 2010 but then decided to push boat out a bit more and get a dedicated amp and speakers for future compatibility.

I saw some ex display Dali Lektors for a fair price and read the review which sounded good enough for me and I picked these up for about £350So ive now decided to go for an amp and was wondering what you'd suggest?

previously ive looked at a Cambridge audio 550a and yamaha as500I have a budget of around £300 and don't mind spending a lot less and buying used or spending the £300 ish on a used amp etc.

Ive been looking at some of the nad amps on eBay like the c320bee. Would this be an ok match and be powerful enough to drive the speakers?

If you could give me a few ideas for amps new and used that would be great. ( I like the idea of spending money on something a little older that was more expensive when new and is therefore higher quality)

Many Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
    tobiah, Mar 7, 2011
  2. tobiah

Tenson Moderator

Which Lektor are these? I think there are some stand-mount and some floor-standing ones.

If I were me I'd look to finding a second hand Cyrus 7, or preferably a Cyrus 3 and PSX-R. I love how they look and they are superb amps too. The PSX-R add-on gives you more power and generally improves it.

Expect to pay about £220 for a Cyrus 7, £180 for a Cyrus 3 and about £250 for a PSX-R.

Newer Cambridge Audio Azur stuff is also superb, especially the 840.

If you fancy something more vintage how about a Quad 405 (original) and Quad 34 preamp.

Don't get anything less than 50watts.

Tenson, Mar 7, 2011
  3. tobiah

tobiah

The speakers I have are floor standard. Thanks very much for the wonderful info!!!
    Do you know much about the Cyrus 8 and 6 amplifiers?

tobiah, Mar 7, 2011
  4. tobiah

Tenson Moderator

Perfectly good amps, but I like the 3. There was a change of designer after the 3, and while it specs better I just slightly prefer the 3. The 7 onwards sound much the same to me. The 3 was my first good amp though so maybe I just have a soft spot for it.

The PSX-R is worth having, so if you can spend less getting a 3 or 7, rather than a 6 or 8 and then get a PSX-R the result will be well worth it.

Tenson, Mar 7, 2011
  5. tobiah

RobHolt Moderator

Cyrus 1,2 and 3 were designed by Henry Azima, joint founder of Cyrus Electronics and the then parent company Mission Electronics.

IIRC Martin Colloms also had input into the early Cyrus amplifiers as a design consultant.

PSXR brings a fully regulated power supply to the amplifier, much like the big Naim and Exposure amplifiers. A Cyrus 3/PSXR is every bit as good as those more expensive amps, but hush... don't tell anyone or the prices will go up.....

RobHolt, Mar 8, 2011
  6. tobiah

tobiah

thanks for the top tips! do the cyrus have controls to controll bass mid and treble?

Sorry for being a newb

tobiah, Mar 8, 2011
  7. tobiah

tobiah

tobiah, Mar 8, 2011
  8. tobiah

Tenson Moderator

Looks good to me. FMJ was their top stuff. If you don't have home cinema it seems a little wasted though.

Tenson, Mar 8, 2011
  9. tobiah

tobiah

I have a panasonic btt 350 3d blu ray home cinema at moment but would consider using this instead... would it be good for just hifi?

tobiah, Mar 8, 2011
  10. tobiah

tobiah

I have also been looking this evening at the arcam alpha 9. Would this be a good option? thanks

tobiah, Mar 8, 2011
  11. tobiah

Tenson Moderator

I'm not sure about the amps, but the Alpha 9 CD player I had was a little soft sounding, I think they roll the treble down a little.

Tenson, Mar 8, 2011
Ask a Question