Stones LP On ePay

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by RDD, Apr 29, 2005.

1. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

2. RDD

Joe

Joe, Apr 29, 2005
  3. RDD

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

The seller always sells his records in the same way and they always go for silly money.

I have a copy of this knocking around, it simply is not worth 670 quid no matter what condition its in, this particular record is quite common.

Still check out his feedback, he is not conning anyone just selling up bigstyle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He sold a quad version of wish you were here last year for something like £400 and the record collector has them worth about 40 quid.

garyi, Apr 29, 2005
  4. RDD

RDD, records will go for silly money, I still covet Frank Zappas Lather on record but typically it reaches 2k or more.

garyi, Apr 29, 2005
  5. RDD

MO! MOnkey`ead!

!!! Nice !!! carpet !!!

!!! :chunder: !!!

MO!, Apr 29, 2005
  6. RDD

Sid and Coke

I gave up after the first half dozen MEGA RARE 1st PRESSING, i have seen quite a few of this guys auctions and with so many positive feedbacks he obviously has a lot of satisfied customers. All of his adverts seen to look quite different,with unique details for each advert, although all of the same basic design. He must spend hours writing all that stuff, good luck to him i say...

Sid and Coke, Apr 29, 2005
  7. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Good sales man ay? I'm going to keep an eye on this one - see what it goes for, he does like judicious use of the "!!!!!", almost distracts from the fact he's making it out to be something it's not......mmmmm, good ploy ;)

Carpet is a little, err, '70s retro, just think where that £600+ LP has been stored :(

RDD, Apr 29, 2005
  8. RDD

Sid and Coke

Them geometric patterns are great when you're a kid for making roads for your matchbox cars, i remember it well...

Sid and Coke, Apr 29, 2005
  9. RDD

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

The book price for this record is between £800 to £1200. This version of this record quite rare. It contains a 2.52 version of Tell me. Only a few of these got released. Most have the longer version. There are a large number of record collectors around the world who want as many items by a certain group.

Bands like the Beatles and Rolling Stones have big demand for rare items.

As Garyi has mentioned, records can go for big money. I have a big collection and have sold the odd item for a tidy 3 figure sum. It's all down to supply and demand.

XXXrecords has been selling on ebay for a long time. He has had excellent feedback. He has sold some very rare stuff in tip top condition. I have bought some records off him, not at that price I may add. I don't know where he gets them from but may he continue. I think he does a great job.

If you think that a lot of money, you haven't lived in the world of record collecting.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27352&item=4722159087&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=25602&item=4722775976&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=27352&item=4722362803&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=45547&item=4723472766&rd=1

http://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/auction_view.htm

The last link has a single, Cairos - Stop Overlooking Me c/w Don't Fight It - Shrine, that is currently up to £2216.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Apr 29, 2005
  10. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

SCDIB - I was meaning to check the 2005 book price when I got home, thanks for saving me the effort :) So it is a valuable one then, impressive, as for living in the world of collecting, well I have for many years, I have a quite large collection and my Fiancés father has around 1000 LPs including LPs like the very first Elvis and Beatles releases etc, but I just have a £250 mental block - anything over that and it looses my sense of logic :rolleyes: :D

RDD, Apr 29, 2005
  11. RDD

greg Its a G thing

A copy of this exact pressing?

greg, Apr 30, 2005
  12. RDD

Apparently not lol

garyi, Apr 30, 2005
  13. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Finally ended at a massive "fairly decent second hand run-around car" price of £1,140 :yikes:

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2005
    RDD, Apr 30, 2005
  14. RDD

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Arnold Layne - what a top track... Wish I'd not, err, been highly stupid on beer on very-AM Saturday morning and, err, scratch-mixed mine (off of Relics) - seemed like a good idea at the time!

The record's still in good nick, but it nearly wasn't!!!

domfjbrown, May 3, 2005
  15. RDD

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

£250 !!! Blimey my mental block kicks in at about £25 and even that makes me a feel a bit queesy. Auntie considered paying £75 for a single once. I thought she'd lost control of her senses (I didn't say that though - I had a certain sneeky admiration for her dedication).

Still if something comes in at over about £25 I just resign myself to the fact that I shall never possess it and simply seek out the next best reissue. If I could find a copy of Village Green Preservation Society that wasn't silly money I might reconsider though. I'd give it to Auntie for Christmas and then I could do no wrong ... ever.

Uncle Ants, May 4, 2005
  16. RDD

Joe

Years ago I sold someone an LP for £50 and was staggered that anyone would pay that much for a piece of plastic. It's prolly worth thousands now.

Joe, May 4, 2005
  17. RDD

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

It is quite staggering what some people will pay isn't it. I mean clearly I love me music and I have what some might say is an unhealthy obession with the old black stuff, but when records get into 4 figures my eyes pop. In this particular case because one track is a slightly shorter version :rolleyes: . Is this some kind of mild mental imbalance at work?

Uncle Ants, May 4, 2005
  18. RDD

Joe

Possibly. A certain madness is inherent in any form of collecting if it's taken seriously, eg Dinky cars that cost 30p new going for hundreds of pounds. The fever of the auction room just adds to this.

There's also the 'If I buy it for £x thousand today I'll be able to sell it on for £y thousand tomorrow' mentality, partly encouraged by the crazy increases in house prices in recent years. I still can't get my head around the idea of a relatively modest pile of bricks and mortar being worth a £million plus.

Joe, May 4, 2005
  19. RDD

RDD Longterm Lurker

Yeah, I think it's due to me being around vinyl for a while and owning collectors books etc, as such I can kind of justify and understand an LP being worth £250.

What gets me about vinyl is even though it's rare, most of the time this is due to some tool cocking up on the production line - this to me for the value of materials and craftsmanship does not justify anything over £250. An antique on the other hand has years of history OR fine craftsmanship OR quality materials (sometimes all three) associated with it - as such I can understand fine pieces of china, a quality watch or piece of furniture going for silly money. A piece of vinyl and some cardboard (cost of materials and labour/effort at manufacturer about £1) no :)

Just my view on it anyway.

RDD, May 4, 2005
  20. RDD

Joe

But surely it's the rarity that counts; think of a rare postage stamp; intrinsic value of materials is almost nil, but because there are only a few in the world, they go for astronomical prices. There's also the 'provenance' thing; thus a guitar once owned by Jimi Hendrix will go for many times the price of one owned by Joe Bloggs.

Joe, May 4, 2005
Ask a Question