streaming music

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by taz, May 17, 2011.

1. taz

taz

the outputs on the LG Blu ray are limited, I have just dug out a cheap set of stereo rca leads (phono to phono) and plugged them into the Blu ray player and the other end into the Evo2 input channel 2 (channel 1 is balanced for the cd1) and sitched of the Sony surround sound amp and that works, to a degree, well it works anyway, the quality is obviously not the best but a bit better than the surround sound system (the surround sound speakers where only £100 a pair) so technically it does work and is a start, I suppose it will at least give me a chance to evalulate whether or not it's worth investing more money in a stand alone streaming system to add as a second source, as much of the laptop music is Mp3 (all be it high bit rate) which was done ages ago when lossles wasn't the norm I can't expect it to sound fantastic, for now it's cost me nothing to try.
    question is out of the choice of dac's I have presently, blu ray, Sony amp which is likely to sound the best ?
    Also what would be a cheap alternative to improve the sound quality ? maybe a s/h dac magic perhaps connected to the blu ray via optical out ? if that's possible then connected to the evo2 amp ? or am I wasting my time bearing in mind the quality of the source material ?
    thanks

taz, May 17, 2011
  2. taz

taz

Iv'e just started my first stream of music to my hifi system if someone had told me i would be doing this 10 years ago i would have said.............................................. ..................probably
    anyway the group "30 seconds to mars" (twas the first album in the folder) is now playing, seems iv'e been missing a trick here, Ok I admit it's not CD quality but it's a lot better than I expected a lot better and a world apart from the surround system and this is an MP3 @ 320kbps so I can't wait to find my flac folder

taz, May 17, 2011
  3. taz

davidavdavid

if you are new to the world of DACs and what they can do, grab a NuForce ICON usb bus powered bus unit, extremely expensive, and will give you a feel for what higher definition music CAN sound like, also great because it is extremely portable.

as for DACs check these out carefully - the DAC Magic automagically upsamples EVERYTHING to 192 kHz - i am a fan of the Musical FIdelity V-DAC - am here in the States btw

davidavdavid, May 26, 2011
Ask a Question