Studio Monitors v's Seperates amp + speakers

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Oct 24, 2005.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Tenson has more or less talked me into getting some Alesis M1 Mk2 Actives for my PC, to replace the Aego 2's, of course I'll probably try other things, but it seems looking at reviews, that these will fit the bill + i like the look of them...

However, before I do, I'm just wondering if its possible to achieve just as good sound for less, or maybe better sound for the same price using a seperates amplifier and speakers - obviously at the maximum £250 or so I'd like to spend, I'd be looking in the realm of second hand kit, which I dont mind.

The main criteria has to be that the speakers are bookshelf speakers and are suitable for nearfield listening, and probably front ported for flexibility (or sealed) and magnetically shielded so it doesn't screw up my monitor.

Any thoughts?

PBirkett, Oct 24, 2005
  2. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

i did see some Yamaha YSP5 actives on avforums for £250 or so. Worth looking at, as are the Tannoy Reveal actives.

Worth a listen to Mordaunt Short 902s btw Paul- iirc they are shielded are work well IME at close proximity although they are rear ported...

Rory, Oct 24, 2005
  3. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Do you mean MSP5's? They are only about £270 new and are damn small things with only a 5" woofer.

Tenson, Oct 24, 2005
  4. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thanks for the suggestions rory... i posted this elsewhere, but as I've had no better ideas, I think i'll stick with the original plan. I'm afraid the 902's are out, as I say, rear ported speakers are no good to me.

PBirkett, Oct 25, 2005
  5. PBirkett

shrink

genelec make some fantastic actives that are used a lot in small recording outfits. they even have a bolt on subwoofer available for those so inclinded... no idea on pricing though.

shrink, Oct 25, 2005
  6. PBirkett

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

The cheapest Genelecs are around £400... I always found them a bit "revealing", i.e. they'll pull your ears off if you've got anything even slightly bright in the system.
    You could try these active Behringers for £200. Good value..

leonard smalls, Oct 25, 2005
  7. PBirkett

shrink

may be a slightly non hi-fi suggestion... but videologics scirocco crossfire speakers are developed specifically for computer applications and are really rather good. very sturdy and powerfull sounding units.

shrink, Oct 25, 2005
  8. PBirkett

Legzr1

They look a bargain for £200.
    MMmmmm...

Legzr1, Oct 25, 2005
  9. PBirkett

mosfet

Behringer has something of a deserved reputation as a knock-off manufacturer, this doesn't mean their products are crap rather that there doesn't appear to be much genuine R&D behind their products. Possibly something to consider.

Most recently Roland sued Behringer earlier this year for cloning Boss guitar pedals.

mosfet, Oct 25, 2005
  10. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

given that the room is really small and you'll be listening right up close at low volume I think a small pair of active monitors sounds like a great idea.

only other thing I'd look at roughly in budget is a small pair of passive monitors... ls3/5a clones, jr149's, or other small sealed boxes.

for cheap decent power you could look at old meridian monoblocks or quad, or something imported through cattylink.

It sounds like less hastle to get some decent active monitors though. Only problem is that you may have to buy blind..

actually, forget that, get yourself to my old favourite tyneside shop - 'soundcontrol'.

I used to use it as a guitar shop, but they also do monitoring and live gear aswell...including active speakers!

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.3/pages/index.php?m=11
    http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/index.php?dep_ref=1.1.5.6

bottleneck, Oct 25, 2005
  11. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, Oct 25, 2005
  12. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

PBirkett, Oct 25, 2005
  13. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

They were £220 normally, but its still a bargain! Go buy some dude :cool: You really WONT get a better sound than that for £135!!!!

Tenson, Oct 25, 2005
  14. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Saying, that seemingly it will be good, albeit in mono ;)

Attached Files:

PBirkett, Oct 26, 2005
  15. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Oh well that makes sense doesn't it! Always read the not-so-small print :D

Tenson, Oct 26, 2005
  16. PBirkett

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I thought active tannoy reveals for £99 each was a great price too.

bottleneck, Oct 26, 2005
  17. PBirkett

cjm

I have a study 8ft x 6ft with pc where I work, play etc. I've used Castle Isis speakers (front ported) on a very solid wooden wall shelf, hooked up to a T amp and it sounds amazing - cost of speakers second hand c. £100 and the T amp c. £30. Even though I sit only about 3 to 4 ft away from the speakers, the sound is room filling, detailed, highly musical but never headache inducing. My sound card is generic which limits the quality from the PC - though still good with films, for example - but with a good source, it's a highly enjoyable and capable music setup. IMO the Isis speakers put out surprising bass - in terms of agility and extension - for small bookshelf speakers.

With the likes of the T amp around, I'd be surprised if that sort of sound quality can be matched on a limited budget.

cjm, Oct 26, 2005
  18. PBirkett

greg Its a G thing

IIRC someone (allegedly) opened up one of their mixers and found the main board was so close in design to the OEM that it even included the OEM's logo as per the original.

greg, Oct 26, 2005
  19. PBirkett

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

Makes them better value if they've used someone else's design!

leonard smalls, Oct 26, 2005
  20. PBirkett

greg Its a G thing

Maybe I didnt make it clear that the OEM hadnt licensed the design to be used.

greg, Oct 26, 2005
Ask a Question