Sub around £400, advice needed

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by liamjf, Sep 15, 2004.

1. liamjf

liamjf

Hello chaps, title says it all really, looking for a sub to add to my AV system and to add aliitle lower end butchness to stereo as well :) .
    Here's the thing, must be in wood finish (don't care what) for WAF and have dual inputs and gains in order to produce trouser wobbling stuff for the new STAR WARS DVDS and also something a bit more subtle for stereo. Second hand no problem so what would you suggest? So far looked at REL Strata III and BK-XLS 200 and even MJA Ref 100 (maybe a bit too small) but haven't heard anything. Cheers for any advice,

Liam.

liamjf, Sep 15, 2004
  2. liamjf

Matt F

Could be your lucky day as there is a cherry wood finished REL Storm III in the for 'buy and sell' section of Zerogain (and, no, it's not me selling it).

It's a little above your budget but still represents a big saving on the new price. I would suggest it would be a fair step up from the smaller/cheaper models you mention and don't forget that by buying second hand you should lose very little should you need to sell it.

Here's the link: https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=5604

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 15, 2004
  3. liamjf

julian2002 Muper Soderator

liam,
    wilmslow audio do sub kits for about this price, maybe worth a look.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 15, 2004
  4. liamjf

liamjf

Saw Technobears ad but a bit annoyed as I had spotted the same sub on sale at Loud and Clear for £349 but the seller decided to sell it to his "mate" over the weekend. They also have a Strata III at the same price but it's in black :( .
    I'll keep looking...

Liam.

liamjf, Sep 15, 2004
  5. liamjf

Matt F

You sure it was a Storm 3 for that price and not one of the earlier versions? £350 seems ridiculously cheap for a sub that retails at someting like £900.

One possible solution to the 'black' issue is to throw a throw over it - I had a nice throw over my Servo 15 and the wife was happy with that - well as happy as a wife can be with a huge subwoofer in the lounge!

If you could avoid the need for real wood veneer then other avenues would open such as used Servo 15's, used Velodyne CHT15/SPL series 1, Ruark Log Rhthym etc.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 15, 2004
  6. liamjf

liamjf

Yeah it was the Storm III. Spoke to the guy who sold it to him. Ah well... Anyone suggestions that fit the bill?

Cheers, Liam.

liamjf, Sep 15, 2004
  7. liamjf

Goomer

Hi Liam

Don't know if they still have them or not, but BK Electronics were selling off Ruark Log Rhythm subs for around £250.00(originally £800.00) - might be worth giving them a ring.

Good luck with the hunt,

Chris.

Goomer, Sep 15, 2004
  8. liamjf

MartinC Trainee tea boy

I think they're out of them, or at least they've pulled the ad from their website. One thing to bear in mind with these is that they're front firing so assuming you're not going to put an additional cover over the driver there's going to be a big black front to it whatever you do.

MartinC, Sep 15, 2004
  9. liamjf

JackOTrades

Well, from their website in the UK they are now selling the XLS200 for 280 pounds.
    Is this an as good a deal as the Log Rhythm was? If it is, it may very well be worth your money, Liam.

Anyone knows the XLS200?

JackOTrades, Sep 15, 2004
  10. liamjf

Matt F

Specs and visually it looks very similar to the RELQ200 which ain't a great sub in my opinion (having owned one) - not great with music and really struggled with deep movie bass at loud volumes.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 15, 2004
  11. liamjf

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The REL Storm III in Cherry cost £1000 new so expect to pay £500 for a 2 year old and maybe £350 - £400 for a 3 year old.

The black version was £900 (I think).

technobear, Sep 15, 2004
  12. liamjf

liamjf

Anyone with anything else - £400 (new/second hand), wood finish, simultaneous high/low inputs?

Liam.

liamjf, Sep 16, 2004
  13. liamjf

Matt F

Might also be worth having a look at the latest SVS offerings: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_boxes.htm

Their newest box (i.e. not cylinder) sub comes in at about £400 I think and yet is supposed to play flat in room to 20Hz! They have a few different finishes - not wood but maybe something that may appeal to 'er indoors.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 16, 2004
  14. liamjf

liamjf

Thanks Matt but the SVS doesn't have wood finish or dual (high and low level) outputs. Seems like a second hans Strata III is my best bet...

Liam.

liamjf, Sep 16, 2004
  15. liamjf

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Or talk to technobear and see if you can come to some sort of deal for his Storm III...

MartinC, Sep 16, 2004
  16. liamjf

avanzato

Hughes seem to have a few Castle classic subs spread around their stores, or I've seen one in the Gt. Yarmouth and Lowestoft branches. Could be the same sub of course. IIRC it was £400..ish, classy Yew finish, in the recent sale, if the sale is still on.

Contact no. on the website Hughes TV n' stuff

avanzato, Sep 16, 2004
  17. liamjf

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I wouldnt pay that much for a castle sub TBH as they aint reknown for their subs really. Rel specializes in making subs and im yet to hear a bad rel! i think the £500 asking price of techno's sub is very fair considering its finished in a lovely cherry veneer.A brand new Q150e mkII costs £500 and tho its a great little sub it cant touch the ST range when it comes to clean musical bass. Good luck lookin4 a strata III liam, you wont be dissapointed!

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Sep 17, 2004
  18. liamjf

avanzato

*sigh*

F*ck it, I give up.
    Liam buy the REL, don't consider anything else cos they're all crap.

avanzato, Sep 17, 2004
  19. liamjf

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

I dont think anyone thinks that Mat!

I think its more the fact that it's half price and second hand.

Chris

bottleneck, Sep 18, 2004
  20. liamjf

Matt F

Then check out the Q200 (I used to own one) - see how poor it is with music and then hear how much distortion it produces when it tries to play something like The Haunting DTS at a reasonable level! And, if the Q200 performs like this I can't see how the Q150/Quake etc will be much better.

The ST range are good but overpriced IMO - I mean, a Stentor 3 lists at £2.5K - you can get a B&W ASW850 or a Velodyne DD12 for less than that and either of those would knock the Stentor into a cocked hat.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 18, 2004
Ask a Question