sub, surround amp problem

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by cat, Jun 25, 2005.

1. cat

cat

Just as an introduction, I use a Pioneer surround amp to run my centre speaker and my surround rear speakers and my sub (via a standard phono lead) only, I use my main hi-fi speakers as fronts by having the Audio outs from the surround amp connected to my evo2i.

When i connect my MJ Acoustics Ref100 sub to both my surround amp (for movies using phono lead from surround amp`s SUB output) and my EVo2i (for 2channel music using Neutrik speakon cable from the Evo2i) at the same time in the exact way stated in the instructions i am getting a surround sound output from my cd player that isn`t even connected to the surround amp, the sound from the cd player is coming form the rear speakers and the centre speaker.

If i remove the phono lead that connects the surround amp to the MJ sub the cd sound disappears from the centre and rear speakers and all is well so from this i can only presume it`s something to do with my sub`s connection.

I have the Neutrik Speakon connection to the sub from my integrated wired precisely as per the instructions, i.e red wire to the left channel spk `+` output, yellow wire to the right channel `+` spk output and the one single black wire connected to only one of the `-` outputs from either channel.

Can anyone offer any reasoning or solutions to this problem?

Cheers

cat, Jun 25, 2005
  2. cat

zanash

Sounds like a swicthing problem with the amp...eithr internal or external.

if external you no doubt have a remote that you use to switch between the various modes? check for user error...in this department.

if internal thats more serious....is it relay operated ? has one of these failed in the shut position.. sending the unwanted signal to the sub and sat speakers?

zanash, Jun 25, 2005
  3. cat

cat

Which amp? the surround amp or the integrated?

cat, Jun 25, 2005
  4. cat

zanash

Its got to be the one that feeds the sub and centre.....it has to be the intigrated is acting like a pre and is only connected via a line input to the surround ?

zanash, Jun 25, 2005
  5. cat

cat

So the fault lies in the Pioneer Surround amp then? :confused:

The integrated supplies a signal to the sub (Neutrik high level) and the two main two channel hi-fi speakers.

The surround amp supplies a signal to the centre, rears and sub(phono lead low level)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2005
    cat, Jun 25, 2005
  6. cat

zanash

sorry ......let me think about it .

Your hearing the cd on the centre and rear yes ?

so what ever is powering these is at fault.

Is its only with the surround turned right up ?

The integrated can't supply the centre and rears ....it only providing a line level to the surround.

zanash, Jun 25, 2005
  7. cat

Rory satisfied

i may be wrong here, but i didn't think Mj subs could take dual inputs at once?

Rory, Jun 25, 2005
  8. cat

cat

Apparantly it is possible and is indeed a design feature for both an Av amp and an integrated or power amp to be connected to MJ subs, they have a totally separate inputs (ie single phono for the AV amp and Neutrik for the integrated) with their own separate gain adjustment to enable the user to set a specific gain for the two channel set up and also set a different gain for movies to achieve a more effective bass output.

I am hearing whatever source my integrated is set to through my surround and centre speakers, be it cd, mp3, digital radio or pc, even if i disconnect the `audio out` leads that connect my surround amp to my integrated.

The integrated is pulling a signal from the av surround amp not sending one to it as i am using my integrated to run my main speakers, this signal is being fed from the above mentioned `audio out` outputs on the rear of the av amp. The av surround amp is feeding the surrounds, centre and sub.

When i do disconnect the `audio out` leads from the av amp to the integrated there is only the sub that is connected to both amps and thus this is why i suspect the connections to the sub is the cause of the problem, this suspicion is further strengthened that when i disconnect the single phono lead that is connected between the av amp`s `sub output` and the sub`s `sub input` the `bleed through` sound i`m hearing in the surround and centre speakers disappears.

What I can`t understand is, how can an input to a sub be responsible for the `bleed through` sound from an integrated to an Av amp and ultimately surround and centre speaker :confused:

The sound i`m getting in the rears and centre is quite high in volume even when the Av amp`s volume is turned right down to zero BUT gets even louder if the av amp`s volume is increased.

What`s going on here fella`s???????

cat, Jun 25, 2005
  9. cat

zanash

get the int to feed the av...via the tape loop

do you still have the problem ?

zanash, Jun 26, 2005
Ask a Question