Sub terranain Terror

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Sep 20, 2003.

1. wadia-miester

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

I happened to have seen the power amps for these babies - the size of a box of matches and powered by a single AAA battery per channel.

7_V, Sep 21, 2003
  2. wadia-miester

penance Arrogant Cock

fairly impresive sensitivity on them eh!

penance, Sep 21, 2003
  3. wadia-miester

merlin

Thanks for the entertaining comments all:)

Today we have started running them in, on the AV setup sans Room Correction. Well at least they work:D

They will need running in, then a fair bit of playing about with the internal damping to get things just right. Volenteers welcome for the less than easy task of taking the 40lb drive unit in and out during testing:D I may have overdamped the cabinet a touch, but without a reference, I cannot say yet.

So far, we can confirm they have JBL bass, that's to say meaty, preferring flesh to bone. The low distortion of the drive unit is also noticable. Timing ain't right, but that's due to the system setup. Kick drums sound mighty already so promising beginning. I will continue running them in whilst waiting for the music system to arrive. Then the fun really will start and we will take the shackles off.

Contrary to everyone's belief, these are not monsters. They hardly output anything below 20hz. Their purpose is to give music the body that is sadly lacking in most medium sized floorstanders these days, not to plumb the depths and rattle the foundations.

And just for WM, we are currently running the bass amp, situated on the floor, off a Woolworths four gang, with speaker cables courtesy of Sonic Link 200:D

merlin, Sep 21, 2003
  4. wadia-miester

Steven Toy

[ Shudder!] ;)

Steven Toy, Sep 22, 2003
  5. wadia-miester

tones compulsive cantater

I was assuming power supply directly from the main grid at 110,000V or whatever it is, brought in by something resembling Transatlantic telephone cable.

tones, Sep 22, 2003
Ask a Question